Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that most aftermarket wheels for our General's have a 4+3 offset. I think a 5+2 is what we need to maintain a close to OEM footprint. Just curious what you guys are putting on your machines, and your thoughts about the added width. I know that wider is more stable, but at 62" wide already, that isn't a concern of mine. I was doing some window shopping last night and stumbled across some wheels that would look awesome on my Radar Blue G, but come in a 4+3 offset. That got me to looking for 5+2 offset wheels, and they are pretty uncommon. Thus this post this morning. Not really looking to put new wheels on, but ****, these would look sharp on there. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Last year we noticed that the trail system in the Black Hills is starting to cater to the side-by-side community and a lot of the trails are being widened. Hopefully more and more trail systems will do this as well. That being said, the width of the machine may not be as big a deal as it was in the past.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm running some STI HD5 beadlocks with 5+4 offset with 30" x 10" x 14" Roctanes that came off my old RZR. We'll see how they do.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey bobx2... those wheels would look great on your rig. I've been eyeballing STI wheels but the purchase of a John Deere loader/hoe has my Gen'ral build on hold for the moment.

Wondering if you were window shopping on Rocky Mountain ATV? When shopping for wheels they make you enter your machine and only show the factory sizes. If you take a look at the STI website they have those wheels in a 5+2 offset... here's the page on STI.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am running 5+2 offset STI wheels. Wisconsin max width for our trail riding is 65". On my rzr I had 4+3 offset. It sure did widen the machine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey bobx2... those wheels would look great on your rig. I've been eyeballing STI wheels but the purchase of a John Deere loader/hoe has my Gen'ral build on hold for the moment.

Wondering if you were window shopping on Rocky Mountain ATV? When shopping for wheels they make you enter your machine and only show the factory sizes. If you take a look at the STI website they have those wheels in a 5+2 offset... here's the page on STI.
I've looked, but can't find the 4/156 Polaris bolt pattern with the 5+2 offset. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but I might try entering a rzr and searching that way.
I really should stop looking, because we all know what happens.... :smile2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am running 5+2 offset STI wheels. Wisconsin max width for our trail riding is 65". On my rzr I had 4+3 offset. It sure did widen the machine.
I have a 2016 with msa m20 wheels with 4+3 offset with 28x10x14 tensor regulators all the way around. It added width but I think it was minimal. I have had it in northern Wisconsin trails with absolutely no issues. My wild boar rocksliders are still wider than my tire footprint.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've looked, but can't find the 4/156 Polaris bolt pattern with the 5+2 offset. I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but I might try entering a rzr and searching that way.
I really should stop looking, because we all know what happens.... :smile2:
Yeah I had to call to get the 5+2 14x7 HD5's with Warthogs mounted......and you are right, you know what happened, they got my credit card number.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Olddreamer, if you don't mind measuring, how wide is your rig at the rear tires with the 5+2 wheels?
and How wide do your tires actually measure?

Bobx2, how wide do those 29's actually measure?

thanks guys

JT

·
Super Moderator
4,095 Posts
Yes the 4x3 do widen it. I have the msa m21 lok wheels and 30'' bighorns and mine measures 66'' outside to outside

·
Registered
95 Posts
JTank70, I measured the width of the rear, its about 63". My tires measure about 9 1/2" wide.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Olddreamer, if you don't mind measuring, how wide is your rig at the rear tires with the 5+2 wheels?
and How wide do your tires actually measure?

Bobx2, how wide do those 29's actually measure?

thanks guys

JT
The Bighorns are dead on as marked. 9" wide on front and 11" wide on the rear, mounted on the OEM wheels.
At 9 psi, mounted on the General, they measure 27 1/2" tall.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I took my 4+3 STI HD Beadlocks with 28x10x14 Rockabillys off my RZR and put them on my General. I have always liked the wider stance, especially when needing some extra stability in off camber areas. A lot of what I ride is not super compact so I was not as concerned with the extra couple inches of width. If you aren't needing to be getting in super tight areas, I would suggest going wider!

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks great i got the radar blue g too im lookin for tires i like the factory rims myself but wounder if the stock wheels be ok with same width tires all around haveing skinnyer rims up front

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks great i got the radar blue g too im lookin for tires i like the factory rims myself but wounder if the stock wheels be ok with same width tires all around haveing skinnyer rims up front
Pretty sure a lot of guys on this forum run 10" wide tires on all four corners on the OEM wheels. Shouldn't be a problem. I used to do the opposite on my atv. I ran 9/11" wide tires on 7" wide wheels at all four corners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ya im hopeing it will be fine the stock tires on it now are 26.5 inchs tall the rims are 2" different in width i think it is so i guess ill find out
that shouldnt make to much difference in hight id think only pulling the tire in 1" per side so and to start they will be wider than the rims anyway

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pretty sure a lot of guys on this forum run 10" wide tires on all four corners on the OEM wheels. Shouldn't be a problem. I used to do the opposite on my atv. I ran 9/11" wide tires on 7" wide wheels at all four corners.
I have noticed that. Why does Polaris and Can-Am (not sure about the others) sell machines with different width wheels/tires, yet the tire mfg's seem to have limited availability of 9 and 11" tires? Someone is not talking to someone else.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 9/11" setup puts the same amount of rubber on the ground as 10" wide tires on all four corners. The difference is that the 9" fronts handle better than 10" on the front. Might not be as noticeable on a SxS, but on an atv the difference is large. Since they share the same tires for the most part, it makes since that they would share the same wheel and tire sizes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts