Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this a couple of weeks ago. I took it on the maiden voyage last week. Sounds great at idle and no load. BUT, under full throttle it is LOUD!!!
My rear passenger said she couldn't hardly hear the music with a 8" speaker directly behind her head. I was going to change back to the stock muffler.
I got the idea to pack some steel wool in the muffler and then put the park arrestors in to hold it in place.
Made a world of difference. Doesn't seem to restrict the muffler at all.
So far, so good. We shall see.. Keep ya posted(y)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just curious as to why you went aftermarket over stock?
Most people do it for either a) more performance (responsiveness and power) or b) quieting the sound as even stock can be loud under load/high throttle conditions. I suppose there are those that want the c) louder noise, yet as your passenger experienced, makes it even more difficult to hear the stereo. I'm not a fan of even louder exhaust systems, as this is one of the causes of Moab, UT taking a hard line on noise restrictions. Anyway.....interested in your thoughts, and if the noise damping efforts you're taking (cool idea with steel wool) still provides for improved performance if that was your end-goal?

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious as to why you went aftermarket over stock?
Most people do it for either a) more performance (responsiveness and power) or b) quieting the sound as even stock can be loud under load/high throttle conditions. I suppose there are those that want the c) louder noise, yet as your passenger experienced, makes it even more difficult to hear the stereo. I'm not a fan of even louder exhaust systems, as this is one of the causes of Moab, UT taking a hard line on noise restrictions. Anyway.....interested in your thoughts, and if the noise damping efforts you're taking (cool idea with steel wool) still provides for improved performance if that was your end-goal?
Yes, performance was my goal. I definitely wasn't looking for louder. But that is a side effect I think for most performance exhaust. I had sent the ECU to Gilomen Innovations to be flashed. So I was looking to take full advantage of the tune. The steel wool takes the "brap" noise out of it making it a deeper sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
2021 XP 1000 4 Deluxe
157 Posts
I ran one on my rzr 1000s loved it. I did have the quiet cap and spark arrestor. But on my General it was to loud in the cab. The acoustics of the cab is way different. I ended going back to stock also.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
519 Posts
Very awesome ride! I really like that!

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't stand the look of the stock muffler and want something that looks cool but has about the same sound level. 🤷‍♂️
I was told they have a catalytic converter in them (stock). Not sure if that is true. I was about to go to a muffler shop and have a 50 series turbo muffler modified to fit.

·
Registered
2020 G2
106 Posts
I was told they have a catalytic converter in them (stock). Not sure if that is true. I was about to go to a muffler shop and have a 50 series turbo muffler modified to fit.
Oh it's true, there is a kitty cat converter in there. I've been told that exhaust temp seems cooler and it sounds way better if you chase that kitty outta there.😉 BTW, that is a cool looking ride. Blessings.

B

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh it's true, there is a kitty cat converter in there. I've been told that exhaust temp seems cooler and it sounds way better if you chase that kitty outta there.😉 BTW, that is a cool looking ride. Blessings.

B
Thank you Sir.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It would be interesting to have someone shoot your exhaust pipes (just out of engine, and just into muffler) with an infrared temp gauge, before and after adding steel wool. You wouldn't want to melt the engine down when under stress, without knowing what caused it. We've seen red-hot header on vehicles when there's too much backpressure in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would be interesting to have someone shoot your exhaust pipes (just out of engine, and just into muffler) with an infrared temp gauge, before and after adding steel wool. You wouldn't want to melt the engine down when under stress, without knowing what caused it. We've seen red-hot header on vehicles when there's too much backpressure in the exhaust system.
I have one! I will do that and post the results

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too love the wrap graphics on your rig. Like the way you tied in a Texas longhorn in white against the blue background on the back (at least that's what it looks like to me). TT's idea to measure temps is a good thought as well.....better safe than sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts