Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
I know for the STI wheels, the lug hole is so small, you can't get a lug wrench on the stock lugs, just not enough room. I bought spline drive lugs, and even then, the socket for them is tight. Don't know why wheel companies make the holes so small.
I had to run mine against a grinder wheel to get it to fit my STI's. It fits so much better on my Tusk's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Follow up to my thread with some pics. Very happy with my purchase...

Reactions: MMX

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have changed tires like some people change underwear.

I started off with some STI HD5's with Terrabites (8-ply) and the combo was great. I had Kanati Mongrels on my Commander so I kind of knew what to expect. I ride mainly Hatfield McCoy and TN (Windrock, RRB) so the Terrabites were great. Then I hooked up with a group that rode East Lynn and while they are trails, they are not maintained trails, so there is a lot of leaves on the ground and the on some of the hills, the Terrabites simply wouldn't cut it. So I ordered some Blackwater Evo's, also on HD5's. These did so much better at EL, but presented problems at HM. Not so much with the tire, but on the road. Something about lugged tires like that (BH 2.0, DC, BE) give my wife a headache very quickly on the road. Something about the harmonics.

So I needed to start looking for something different. I knew going in I didn't want anymore HD5's. They are a decent wheel, but as noted, even the recommended spline tool is hard to get into the lug holes. Also, the beadlock bolts are 1/4" and I snapped them several times tightening them. (Note: I use anti-seize and reduced the torques specs by 25% and still snapped them. Ended up ordering some Grade 8's and reducing torque by 33%).

So looking at wheels, I saw some Tuck Wasatch beadlocks and really liked the look so I ordered them and mounted my Terrabites to them Now they are a 4+3 vs a 5+2 and I really liked the wider stance. But I still needed a tire. Then one day out at EL, one of the guys was running Carnivores. They looked like a good compromise between the Terrabites and Evo's. So I asked him if I could run his machine up the road to see how they rode. Good enough. Much of the harmonic was absent so I finally found a set and ordered them. Wife loved them and they are a good mix between the two. So far I have only gotten stuck in one mudhole that I needed to winch out from.

A couple of notes. I will always buy beadlocks because it makes it so much easier to change your own tires. I have spoons and the Chinese Tool Store tire changer, but it is still a PITA without beadlocks. The Tusk wheels are far and away better built that the HD5's. Not the the HD5's are bad, the Tusks are just better and come with 5/16" beadlock bolts.

So for now I am running Carnivores. I looked at the ITP Tenacity, but as of now they are only available in 32/15 and while I could run the 32's, I didn't want to have to buy new rims again in 15". Plus I think the lugs may be a bit too close to clean out mud and debris.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you sir! They all seem to look the same until you do something to differentiate. This was a "function" upgrade but I sure am liking the "form" aspect of it too... :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’m sure those tires will work fine for you. It’s a tough call on rubber in Maine, but the bulk of what we have will do well with those. 8 ply are a must up north.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The only place I took a hit with the stock tires was a trip to Fort Kent a couple years back. There were some seriously sharp rocks that slashed an OE rear. I should have just upgraded at that point but was being cheap patching up what I had. That decision cost me my first trip this year with a follow up failure. I'm thinking I'm good going forward now.

On another front, a good friend of mine just picked up a place in Bingham so we now have a private spot to ride out of that is right on the trail! Looking forward to this fall more than usual...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts