Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, in only about 600 miles of use, my OE tires have let me down. I ride 99% in Maine on logging roads along with rocky trails. The first time I had a flat, I was able to plug it and air up to get me back to town. Luckily, even if I wasn't able to fix it, I wasn't far out. When I got home, I brought it to my local tire shop hoping they would vulcanize it but it was too damaged inside from riding on it empty so they tubed it instead. Well, this past weekend, either the tube failed or something chopped my valve stem off. My wife pulled up to me and I noticed the flat. As I was headed for the compressor, I noticed that there was no valve stem on the wheel. Well, that killed our trip early. Luckily, again, we were close to a dirt road and were on a very smooth trail. So, she was able to creep down to the main paved road and I road my ATV back to get the truck and trailer. No damage to the wheel and close to town yet again.

Moving forward, it's time to drop the money on a new set of tires. I decided to do a wheel/tire package while I'm at it. That way I can carry one of my OE front wheels/tires as a spare and it happens to fit both the General and my Sportsman to boot. So, wheels are going to be Tusk Teton Gunmetal in 14x7 / 5+2. On to the tires. I am going to buy Terrabites but have some options to consider. I see some guys running 30x10 but the RMAVT package configurator only suggests up to 28X10 for the General. Opinions on what's the better option for an otherwise stock machine?

Next question is whether to go with the Aramid 10 ply version or stick with the standard 8 ply? My only concern about the 10 ply would be increased sidewall stiffness resulting in a stiffer ride. But maybe that's a non issue?

Another question is whether I need to get new lug nuts or can I use my OE ones? They were recommending spline drive replacements but is that needed? It looks like the same conical seat the OE ones have and the product listing says it has oversized lug holes that accept common 17mm sockets. Perhaps the spline drive deal is just an upsell?

Lastly, is the sealant and/or internal balancer option(s) worth the price of admission? $8 for sealant or $12 for sealant and balancer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,942 Posts
I know for the STI wheels, the lug hole is so small, you can't get a lug wrench on the stock lugs, just not enough room. I bought spline drive lugs, and even then, the socket for them is tight. Don't know why wheel companies make the holes so small.

When I bought my Terrabites, the 10ply wasn't available, but can't say for sure I would've went for them. The 8 plies have done well.

I debated for weeks whether to go 28 or 30, before finally going with 30s, and glad I did. Acceleration lost down low while noticeable, is minimal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info sir. A buddy of mine pointed out about aftermarket wheels having small lug openings. However, these wheels state specifically on their detail page that they have oversized holes to accept a standard 17mm socket. This is why I was surprised they were trying to upsell me on spline drive lug nuts. Anyways, 30's eh.... Hmmmm....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi taken, ok, I can help, a little. I am planning on getting exactly what you are looking for. I chatted with a person from RMATV, and the configurator does not list the 30” terrabites because it thinks you want stock sizes. Anyway, I was told that you order them separately. Tires and wheels. Then ask for them to install the tires on the wheels. I am not sure on the lug nuts, and maybe someone else can answer. But when I had him work up a quote for me, 14 x 7 w/ 5-2 Tetons, and 10 x 30 x 14 terrabites with 16 lugs and key was just under $1100. Didn’t think that was to high. I will be ordering mine soon. Also, people who know on this forum say you do not need to do anything else for these to work for a stock setup. But my stock camber is off, and I also think the spacing looks better with the A arms with 1.5” forward offset. But I am getting the new A arms mainly for the adjustable camber. those are supposed to be delivered this Friday!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, great minds think alike eh? Were you going with the 8 ply or 10 ply Aramid version of the Terrabites?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am just going to go with the 8 ply. I am an old retired guy, don’t do rock climbin, and will not go in the mud. It is mostly a winter plowing machine for two pretty big areas, and a gravel road runner where I live. It will get worked the hardest during the winter.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My two pesos worth

Your tire and wheel choice should be based on what type of off roading you do.

The members run different tires and wheel combos so maybe if you elaborate more on what you do you’ll get the right suggestion from a member

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts Dega.

Charlie, we ride in Maine. Much of it is smooth logging roads. There are also some very rocky trails. We see very little mud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Taken,
I have a 2016 General Premium. A couple weeks ago I purchased Tusk Bearclaw rims in 14x7 and 5+2 along with 28x10x14 Tusk Terrabites in 8 ply from RMATV. I did buy new lugs and the socket they recommended. All I can say is boy what a difference. I'm in Minnesota and ride mostly trails and what a difference in handling compared to stock. I'm running 10 psi in front and 12 psi in rears. I didn't go with any sealant. For the price these Terrabites are very nice tires and the rims look good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input sir! To be honest, I haven't come across much of anything negative in all my reading on the Terrabites. Perhaps the one thing I've seen out there is they run a bit short for their size. Anyways, they are a lock along with the wheels. I'm still vacillating on the 28 vs. 30 thing and the 8 vs. 10 ply thing. I think the 30's would look a hair better but cost me a hair of gearing. I think the 10 ply version is a no brainer if it's tougher as long as it isn't stiffer and costs me ride quality. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
900 Posts
Taken
Looks like you found your tire. I’ve read on the forum that a lot of guys really like these tires. I know for the type of off roading I do down here in Baja a more light truck all terrain tire like a Tensor or BFG works best because most of the terrain is high desert where a more square sidewall tire has less tendency to roll under the sidewall when cornering at speed (better known as wallering that leads to sidewall gashes)
For rocks, mud or deep sand the all terrains are not as good because the sidewall doesn’t flex enough or typically they do not have aggressive sidewall lugs.
I currently run a 32x14 Tensor on a 14” GMZ beadlock wheel and it’s a great combo for down here. When these wear down I’m going to a 32x15 Tensor on a Walker Evans 15”
Beadlock wheel. Why? To match my RZR buddies so all our spares will match too.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live in Maine also. Ride all over anywhere North of Augusta. Your Terrabite selection will do well here. Not much mud, lots of gravel. There are other good selections too. The Terrabite is good bang for buck. Id stick with the 8 plus and go ahead with the splined lugs. I had some on a buggy I just traded for my new XP4.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run Method Racing 401 Beadlocks, 14x7, 5+2 with Tusk Terrabite 30x10x14 8 ply. The tires have been great in all conditions except sand. I want to say that going with a 10 ply adds 8 - 10 lbs per tire. That's quite a bit of extra rolling resistance. That would be more strain on your clutch and probably shouldn't be done without a clutch kit. I used stock lugs with the Method wheels, no issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think I've backed off to the 28's. I looked all through the pics in the tire and wheel upgrade thread and to me, without forward A arms, the 30's spacing just looks a hair to close. Just my preference. Anyways, so it's down to the 28's in 8 or 10 ply. What's interesting is that RMATV says both tires have the same weight listed which to me seems a bit magical. Another thing that surprises me is that the 10 ply are only $25 total more for the 4. I also found out that our stock lug nuts are 19mm and the holes in the Teton rims are only big enough for 17mm so since I need new nuts one way or the other, I guess I'll get the spline drive ones offered in the package from RMATV.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in Maine also. Ride all over anywhere North of Augusta. Your Terrabite selection will do well here. Not much mud, lots of gravel.
My wife was born in Solon but moved when very young. We've been going back all along the 201 corridor for years now though. Solon, Bingham, The Forks and then sometimes up around Greenville. We went down to Rangeley a couple times on both sleds and ATV/SXSs and it was just too busy for us. Got any favorite places you hit outside what I mentioned here? We've been doing the same places for years and are always in the market for something new. Only time we've been far from the area was a trip to the Sunrise trail in Machias and a trip up to Ft. Kent. Ft. Kent has always been great on sleds but we were as happy ATVing there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’ve done a lot around Greenville/Forks. Been doing a bit on Rt.9 in Beddington area down to Sunrise trail. I haven’t done north of Rt.9 yet. They don’t want me there. My Pioneer was 66” wide and now my new XP4 is 64” wide. They have a 60” limit. It’s a joke. I do hang out on the LaGrange railbed and up to Schoodic lake area then up to Millinocket or over to Lake Onawa. Lots of good riding. No one bitching that my ride is too big either. I live in the Bangor area, so I’m centrally located to a lot of trail access. Just traded for the Polaris this week. I loved the Honda, but it was simply too hot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice man! I hear you on certain areas and their width rules. Moose Alley in Bingham is super anti SXS. They set their barriers JUST wide enough to get through. My wife scraped up the General's nice new extended fenders on our last ride up there. It's like playing the old "Operation" board game! Be dead center or ZAP! They say they do this to keep jeeps and trucks out and off the bridges but I have family in the club and know better. They are just old time ATVers who have no use for all these new fangled SXS machines taking over "their" trails. Ugh. I guess I should complain being an out of stater. I'm just happy to be able to play up there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You’ve called it exactly like it is. Unfortunately for them, when new legislation comes out on the next session, the state will have new guidelines with a 65” and 2000 pound restriction on newly registered rigs. Current registrations will be grandfathered. Trail funding and landowner liability coverage will be conditional on compliance of these new standards. It will hold landowners and club leadership feet in the fire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's another question. I've read that some have a pull to the right when installing Terrabite tires. This seems to happen when reusing OE wheels and when running new ones so it must be that these tires have a tendency to show an issue the other tires can mask. Is this super common or is it simply a normal forum stuff where folks are more likely to post when something goes wrong than when an upgrade goes normally with no issues?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts