Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding a resonator to the tailpipe on the stock muffler as an alternative to a $850 HMF twin loop quiet exhaust? I saw a 12" long resonator on Summit for about $60 for a lincoln town car that even had a u shaped pipe with it and the right I.D. as stock.
Thinking of buying it and getting the local muffler shop to fab it on the tailpipe using the u shaped pipe section to mount the resonator towards the top of the muffler.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
484 Posts
Sounds interesting......let us know how it works. That might be something I’d be interested in.

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was $87 shipped from summit. The resonator case is 3" diameter and 10" long with 2" inlet/outlet. The General stock tailpipe is 2" diameter. I picked this one because the U shaped piece of tailpipe with it looked like the tightest U bend I saw and the 3" diameter 10" long resonater case should fit nicely with the oem 17" long muffler. I am pretty sure that U will be tight enough to make this work making the u bend putting the small resonator at the top of the muffler with the outlet/tailpipe end dumping out the right side instead of the left.

I plan on welding the fabrication to the existing General tailpipe then bracing it with a rod tack welded between the oem muffler inlet pipe and new tailpipe outlet. That should keep it from flexing and cracking the welds.

I will make sure this is located so it won't interfere with dumoing the bed and that there is plenty of clearance with the bed in the dump position. I might be able to fab a heat shield for the resonator or if I can't I will use exhaust wrap.

I do have a decibel meter I use on my bikes when I change exhausts to get before/after readings so I will document if it actually does something. If it doesn't work I can easily cut it off and go back to stock.

My question is, does the oem General muffler have a removable spark arrestor that is supposed to be removed and cleaned periodically? If so I will have to relocate it to the new tailpipe so maintenance can be done on it. Anybody know?

When I am done if anybody wants to duplicate it I will post the part bumber to order from Summit.
wlk-56106.jpg

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
We had our spark arrestor out numerous times on our 17 General.
Haven't look at our 21 XP yet.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
484 Posts
My 2020 arrest or is removeable

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the pipe I ordered. It looks like everything I need. Just a matter of cutting it into the pieces I need and getting the local muffler ship to use their tailpipe expander to get the pieces to slip together then weld it all up. I will be moving the spark arrestor to the end of the new tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Interested to see your project complete and how it works!

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well adding that U shaped piece of pipe, running the resonator across the top and stubby little tailpipe dumping out the right side surely that will quiet it down. The question is how much.

I use this meter for actual results so I am not guessing. It will be interesting to see. With this one I should also record inside the cab since thats where I am. And then record 8ft behind which is my usual distance. The meter has a mode where it will hold the loudest reading so you can not only get idle but also how loud under acceleration or cruising rpm.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Interesting and we want to see the results and pictures also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just wondering what it would sound like with just the resonator? Seen trucks without a muffler and just a resonator. It sounds good.

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it will not lose performance lol a resonator is a straight thru perforated tube in a hollow case. There is science behind the noise reduction though.

·
Registered
2018 General
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't spend the money for a before and after dyno test. There is more restriction in the spark arrestor screen than a 180 degree curve in my opinion.

The resonator tailpipe I got is for a lincoln towncar with a 239hp 4.6L engine. Those cars had a single exhaust that went thru this 2" diameter tailpipe. The polaris general has a 1.0 L engine and uses 2" pipe. Thats a lot less flow than a 4.6L 239hp engine.

I believe this short length of pipe and resonator will not result in a measurable difference in performance given that that same diameter pipe is specd for a engine more than 4 times the size of the general engine. The greatest restriction in the general system is in the oem muffler itself. That's why the aftermarket mufflers uncork the flow. Adding a short length of pipe after the oem muffler with a gentle 180 change of direction will not make a measurable difference. The variances in power output stock from one machine to the next would be greater in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts