Polaris General Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
If Polaris would just repair/replace those that do break, it would put a lot of folks minds at ease. That's a lot of money that most people don't just have laying around to repair their toys. Instead, the most common response people get from a dealer is, "We've never heard of, or seen that before", even though everyone who owns that particular model, (atv or side by side) knows of a particular problem or issue. I have experienced this myself with a couple of different Polaris OHV's, and as a moderator on the Polaris ATV forum, I've heard of countless others. It's just a frustration that doesn't need to be there. If they have a possible flaw, or weak point in some of their machines, they should fix them. It wouldn't break the bank if they are as isolated as they appear to be. Then everyone is happy, and most likely a repeat customer.

Reactions: Hitman
Discussion starter · #44 ·
I know a lot of guys are quick to get rid of the turf mode. I want turf mode. This machine gets used around my house and property more than trail ridden. When I had my Can-Am Commander, the yard was destroyed when the kids rode it around. There's no reason the turf mode can't be built strong. Like I've said before, they surpassed the engineering of their original design. I now have the 19 transmission, so the turf mode stays. I'm happy that Polaris stepped up and gave me the transmission under good faith warranty. So far it seems to work very well. Only time will tell about durability.

Just spoke with service manager at my dealer & he looked up my vin number for anything related to this issue on my machine with Polaris & said he didn't see anything.

Anyone else got this response when asking dealer if their machine is eligible for this upgrade?

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Just spoke with service manager at my dealer & he looked up my vin number for anything related to this issue on my machine with Polaris & said he didn't see anything.

Anyone else got this response when asking dealer if their machine is eligible for this upgrade?
Is your machine broken? I can't see Polaris just upgrading transmissions just to upgrade them. I had a failure. Like I have stated in this thread, I was 3 days short of a year owning the machine. I had 100 hrs on it. I wasn't demanding with my dealer about anything. I specifically asked them to open a case with Polaris. I did not even drain the fluid myself.

Was the machine used when you bought it? If so, I'm guessing he just looked through the service history. This isn't a recall, or even a voluntary recall. I had a failure. I didn't abuse the machine. I had 28" tires that the dealer installed before I even looked at it. I think that all may contribute to how likely they are to upgrade the transmission and good will warranty it.

Went to back in the garage the other night. Heard some loud clunk. Looked to see if I was in turf mode, the switch was not in turf mode. My rear diff was however. I jacked the rear end up, wheels spin independent. I thought the solenoid might be bad. I unplugged the solenoid. No difference. The solenoid seemed to read low resistance. Made an appointment with the dealer. Tech called said they replaced the solenoid and relay, diff still won't lock. They're going to have to crack the cases. When they drained it, they found a "ton of fragments and metal shavings in it". I told him to open a case with Polaris. Very frustrating.

2018 General LE
Took delivery July 27 2018
668 miles
102 hours

Shock Therapy RC2s
28" tires
Motor and drivetrain are all stock.
Just purchased a general Xpe 4
Went to back in the garage the other night. Heard some loud clunk. Looked to see if I was in turf mode, the switch was not in turf mode. My rear diff was however. I jacked the rear end up, wheels spin independent. I thought the solenoid might be bad. I unplugged the solenoid. No difference. The solenoid seemed to read low resistance. Made an appointment with the dealer. Tech called said they replaced the solenoid and relay, diff still won't lock. They're going to have to crack the cases. When they drained it, they found a "ton of fragments and metal shavings in it". I told him to open a case with Polaris. Very frustrating.

2018 General LE
668 miles
102 hours

Shock Therapy RC2s
28" tires

2018 General LE
668 miles
102 hours

Shock Therapy RC2s
28" tires
Purchased General xp4 1000 stealth two months ago. Taking time to break in . Only 22 miles and 4.47 hours. Taking off trailer in turf mode wouldn't pull in f, r low. Locking differential and awd worked. This has been babied. Yes mud but nothing aggressive. Y'all have me worried now. Taking care in break in period.

Just purchased a general Xpe 4

Purchased General xp4 1000 stealth two months ago. Taking time to break in . Only 22 miles and 4.47 hours. Taking off trailer in turf mode wouldn't pull in f, r low. Locking differential and awd worked. This has been babied. Yes mud but nothing aggressive. Y'all have me worried now. Taking care in break in period.
I have 1,000 hard miles on my 2017 G4. The last 100 miles has been with a turbo that doubles the horsepower. My foot is constantly in the floor. Also use turf-mode all of the time. If I have not broke mine yet, I sure wouldn’t worry about yours being that it has the newer upgraded parts. Don’t let the posts on here make you paranoid.

Now surely after this response I will break my transaxle tomorrow ... but it’s my own fault for installing a turbo.

However, I will pay $4k to eventually have a replacement performance transmission installed to keep my turbo ...

Nothing more fulfilling than the look on the face of a turbo RZR rider when they can’t get away from you on your General. 😉

Sounds great. Called dealership and they said sorry please bring it back. Probably solenoid. Know hasn't exploded because differential still works. Also told me not making any more of the stealth pursuit. Asked if had problems and said no.

We have a gear box failure on a 2018 general with 10500 KM, it was a bearing what did give in, the owner drive a lot in turf mode.
bit disappointing to see "Made in China" on the bearing in a polaris
[/QUOTE]

2018 General LE
668 miles
102 hours

Shock Therapy RC2s
28" tires

2018 General LE
668 miles
102 hours

Shock Therapy RC2s
28" tires
I'm looking at a 2017 General with 3300 miles, a 4" lift and 30" tires. The seller said he replaced the front axle and the turf mode needs to be looked at. When I asked him more about that this is what he said, "It stop working last winter snow plowing my drive way only one wheel in back has power to it but if you put switch to four wheel drive that works". Any thoughts on what this might mean? Maybe the solenoid or something with the whole transmission? What should I be looking for when I see it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@Troyer
First off welccome to the Forum.
In Turf mode only one wheel has power in the rear.
When you put the selector in the middle position, you have posi where both rear wheels are locked in, so both wheels have power to them.
Then when you select 4x4 when your rear wheels slip, your front end kicks in.
If you are having trouble with Turf mode it could be the solenoid.
Will need a better description of the problem and when it occurs.
PM sent.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
I'm looking at a 2017 General with 3300 miles, a 4" lift and 30" tires. The seller said he replaced the front axle and the turf mode needs to be looked at. When I asked him more about that this is what he said, "It stop working last winter snow plowing my drive way only one wheel in back has power to it but if you put switch to four wheel drive that works". Any thoughts on what this might mean? Maybe the solenoid or something with the whole transmission? What should I be looking for when I see it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I wouldn't buy it, personally. Look for a 19 or newer. There's too many variables involved. It could be the solenoid driver, the solenoid, or the differential itself. If the rear end wouldn't lock in 2wd, it's still not locked in 4wd. The front wheels start pulling and you probably wouldn't notice the rear isn't locked. If the differential itself failed, that typically means replacing the trans case. Costly. I would find a machine that isn't modified if I was to buy used.

I wouldn't buy it, personally. Look for a 19 or newer. There's too many variables involved. It could be the solenoid driver, the solenoid, or the differential itself. If the rear end wouldn't lock in 2wd, it's still not locked in 4wd. The front wheels start pulling and you probably wouldn't notice the rear isn't locked. If the differential itself failed, that typically means replacing the trans case. Costly. I would find a machine that isn't modified if I was to buy used.
Thanks for the feedback. He's only at $14,500 to start with and when I mentioned it could be a symptom of a transmission issue he said he would take $2000 off and I haven't even looked at it yet. I am hedging against a costly repair and going forward I will probably only put on about 500 miles a year.

Do you think they have made any other improvements since 19? I have a 22 and wondering if all is the same as a 19.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.