Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am safe is thinking that the wiring block under the hood with the large gauge + and - wire, is there for us to wire accessories to? Looks like its intended use, and looks like that is where they have landed power for their stuff to.. ???
And if that is its purpose, mine is always hot btw, would there be anything wrong with wiring a battery tender up to its handy location, instead of making a cable long enough to connect directly to the battery ??

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, there should be 3 studs. Hot, Ground and Switched or accessory power when the key is on. This would be a fine place for a Battery Tender pigtail. Some folks on here already have installed small 6 circuit fuse blocks off these studs. This is a wise thing to do so that you have fuse protection for your accessories.:grin2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! I just got back from West Marine...I got the 12 circuit, as it was on sale, slightly cheaper than the 6 I think...
Do you suspect there is a fuse between the battery and that block? I don't see one ?
I will add one otherwise.. 80 or 100 A I would guess..

·
Vendor
1,563 Posts
If you pop the drivers seat off and pop the cover to the battery you will see the 2 cables from the battery that go directly to the buss under the hood. At this time take a look at the huge opening in the battery compartment in front of your left rear tire. I will be addressing that this weekend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
so far i don't have a lot of accessories so i just hooked them to the + and - stud under the hood with inline fuses also i took the remote on to the sound bar and moved it over to the + so i don't have to have my key on and run up hours just to listen to the radio i just simply turn it on and off with the button

·
Registered
291 Posts
so far i don't have a lot of accessories so i just hooked them to the + and - stud under the hood with inline fuses also i took the remote on to the sound bar and moved it over to the + so i don't have to have my key on and run up hours just to listen to the radio i just simply turn it on and off with the button
I'm not 100% positive but pretty sure the hour meter only operates while the engine is running not while the key is in the accessory position.
I do agree with you though about tapping of the always hot post for the stereo. I'm also gonna do that for my dome light and rear bed "Get a beer" lights:grin2: Just can't see leaving the key on along with the gauge cluster and other things while yer hangin out BSin with the friends.

·
Vendor
1,563 Posts
I'm not 100% positive but pretty sure the hour meter only operates while the engine is running not while the key is in the accessory position.
I do agree with you though about tapping of the always hot post for the stereo. I'm also gonna do that for my dome light and rear bed "Get a beer" lights:grin2: Just can't see leaving the key on along with the gauge cluster and other things while yer hangin out BSin with the friends.
I agree. I wired all my accessory light to operate with the key off.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
94 Posts
you may be right about the hours not running up unless the engine is running but still feel like i would rather just be able to turn radio on and off without having to have the key on

·
Vendor
1,563 Posts
Also the electric steering will be activated. Times out I think.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I bought three of these last Fall to use on my RZR 800...now they will be mounted under the hood of my General Deluxe:

Fused circuits, nice clear plastic cover to keep things clean. Will make for very nice, safe, and tidy wiring for accessories!

Pirate

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I bought three of these fused terminal blocks for use wiring accessories...looks like their going to go under the hood of the General.

Will make for nice tidy wiring!

Pirate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts