Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m dragging this subject up again. Why?
Marty Smith and his wife died yesterday at the Imperial Sand Dunes in a dune buggy roll over accident. Marty was an incredible motocross rider in the seventies and him being a local boy (Santee, Ca) he was a legend to us dirt bike guys back then. I had the privilege of being in the 1977 District 38 Team Srambles race at Carlsbad Raceway and witnessing him pass me three times. He was amazing!! Rest In Peace Marty and Nancy.

Now for the bad news
Marty chose to not wear his harness, Nancy chose to just use the lap belt of their 5 point harnesses. Their two passengers in the back chose to wear the 5 point harnesses.
Marty died at the scene, Nancy made it to the hospital via helicopter but died an hour later. The two passengers didn’t have a scratch on them and administered CPR on Marty and Nancy until help arrived.

Was there drinking involved? I don’t know, but this accident may have been prevented.
I know we’ve all done it, jumped in your rig and didn’t buckle up because I’m “just going over there or I’ll go slow” and countless other excuses.
Think about it!!!!! What’s a few minutes of your time for you and your loved ones to buckle up.

5 points, 4 points or 3 points JUST DO IT!!!

Dang!! I hate to hear news like this
Baja Charlie

PS no Cheers today, it’s a sad day

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's a sad event for sure. I've posted here before about a former work colleague who had a low speed rollover in his yard and paralyzed his passenger. No belts were worn. I'll admit driving through my yard last summer I was crossing a ditch I had just backfilled. Front tires sank and the machine went from about 5mph to a dead stop. My girlfriend (no belts) flew forward into the windshield. Cracked her noggin pretty good. Broke the latch off the Lock and Ride front windshield. A miniscule little accident, but boy did I feel bad. She was fine, got the windshield fixed, glad it wasn't worse. R.I.P. to Marty and Nancy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Moved to Santee in 78. He was a local legend. Always a thrill seeing him and friends show up along the San Diego River and sand pits! WTF was he not wearing a seatbelt? Roll over or witches eye?

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is tragic...Sorry to here Baja....YES where those belt and a helmet as already mentioned it only takes one stupid mistake and maybe not even yours.....Be Safe all....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Teenage girl was killed here a couple of years ago. Her and her BF had been riding (with helmets and seatbelts) and were coming into the parking area at the end of a benefit ride. She took off her helmet just as her BF decided to do some donuts. Well we all know that donuts usually mean flop and that is exactly what happened. Except her head hit the ground.

There was an EMT and a nurse in the lot at the time but there was nothing they could do. :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
me and my buddy were riding the dirt roads around the house, just enjoying a cruise about 20-30 mph. i started to buckle up and he made the comment of why. i said what if we decide to do a little drift, or better yet, some jack$%^ comes flying around a blind turn. he said i hate you and put his belt on. i can say i am bad about not wearing my helmet when just leisurely driving around the house, but i do make a conscious effort to buckle in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts