Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the horrible factory neck cutting shoulder belt and installed 2 PRP SB4.2 harnesses. I was able to adjust one to fit my 300lb self and the other for my 6yr old daughter. Easy to install and much more secure and comfortable.
I did have a problem with the UHMW rock sliders I ordered months ago... First it took about 3 weeks to arrive due to a shipping error, then I took the general back to the dealer for repairs (+2wks) after the first outing. When I finally went to bolt them up there were no holes or instructions. Only the rock sliders and 2 sets of hardware. Each side has 3 counter sunk holes but they don't seem to align with anything on the bike. Did I get the wrong product or has anyone installed these before?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
So how did you attach the shoulder harnesses to the rectangular tube cross brace on the ROPS behind the seats?

I had the dealer install the glass rear windshield. Its very, very nice...but with the glass panel above the tube and the black plastic piece that cover the tube...

Also the bracket for the glass panel clamps over the tube, but a couple inches away from the center of the headrest...

So wondering how I'm going to attach the 2" Pro Armor 4 point harnesses I've purchased.

Thoughts? Pics???

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
374 Posts
Removed the horrible factory neck cutting shoulder belt and installed 2 PRP SB4.2 harnesses. I was able to adjust one to fit my 300lb self and the other for my 6yr old daughter. Easy to install and much more secure and comfortable.
I did have a problem with the UHMW rock sliders I ordered months ago... First it took about 3 weeks to arrive due to a shipping error, then I took the general back to the dealer for repairs (+2wks) after the first outing. When I finally went to bolt them up there were no holes or instructions. Only the rock sliders and 2 sets of hardware. Each side has 3 counter sunk holes but they don't seem to align with anything on the bike. Did I get the wrong product or has anyone installed these before?
Where did you get your rock sliders? Factory UTV? If so, the rock sliders are not compatible unless you use their skid plate.

This is the reply I received from Factory UTV when I inquired on the rock sliders:
Unfortunately because of how Polaris built the side plastic, rock sliders require the use of a full UHMW Skid Plate. Will not work with OEM Polaris General Skid Plate. Only model where this is the case. Too much room between plastic and frame rail which the skid fills.
There is also a disclaimer on their site:

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Chak,

Be aware that with Factory UTV, and about every other skid manufacturer, you will need to drill holes to bolt the rock slider to the frame.

Like my Factory UTV skid set, the "holes" should be 1.625" in diameter cut about 0.125" deep, then a 1" hole that goes the rest of the way through.

The "domed" washer fits into the recess and has a 0.25" hole in the center. The instructions should tell you to drill a 3/16" hole and then insert a self-threading bolt that is provided.

Now, you need to make sure the hole in the center of the domed washer aligns with frame tubing. That way the bolt will hold the slider to the frame...where you want it.

I've taken a step forward and drilled the 3/16" hole. Then drilled it out to 3/8". And then inserted a 1/4x20 Rivit Nut and crimped it in place.

Now I have lots of thread that isn't going to strip out the second time I take the skid off.

Need info on Rivit Nuts there is plenty on YouTube and I can share which tool I purchased off Amazon.

Pirate

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Before even seeing the General Deluxe...I ordered a pair of Pro Armor Orange, 2", 4 point harnesses. Figured if the General is orange...might as well stay with the color scheme!!

Removed the stock seat belts. Two notes: Bought two bolts to fill the holes left by the seat belt retract box. Bought a jumper for the seat belt speed limiter.

To say the least, as bit of a PITA to install. Finally wound up taking the glass rear windshield off. Taking four bolts out of the lower rear windshield out. And finally, can get the harnesses around the rectangular ROPS cross tube.

To get the harnesses tight around the rectangular tube, finally would up using a clamp squeezing the harness to the two vertical sides of the cross tube.

I set a measurement from the front vertical face of the cross tube to the pad on the shoulder harnesses at 10.5". Wife, er BOSS, wanted hers at 11". So be it.

Here's Boss' harness installed:

Took the General out for our first real ride, 50 miles round trip to Cripple Creek, CO.

Good decision on the 2" harnesses. With the shoulder straps coming around the seat back, the pads are in a good location and NO...I mean NO...rubbing on the neck!!!

Another successful General addition!!

Pirate

·
Registered
7 Posts
PIRATE,
Can you post a picture from the backside of your rear windshield. I don't understand what you meant by using a clamp. I installed mine yesterday inside of the window bracket. I was afraid the support bracket for the cross bar would wear on the belt when I had it on the outside of the window bracket. I just put mine in a "X" formation with each other. The right side latches to the left and visa versa. The seat naturally held them apart.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Before even seeing the General Deluxe...I ordered a pair of Pro Armor Orange, 2", 4 point harnesses. Figured if the General is orange...might as well stay with the color scheme!!

Removed the stock seat belts. Two notes: Bought two bolts to fill the holes left by the seat belt retract box. Bought a jumper for the seat belt speed limiter.

To say the least, as bit of a PITA to install. Finally wound up taking the glass rear windshield off. Taking four bolts out of the lower rear windshield out. And finally, can get the harnesses around the rectangular ROPS cross tube.

To get the harnesses tight around the rectangular tube, finally would up using a clamp squeezing the harness to the two vertical sides of the cross tube.

I set a measurement from the front vertical face of the cross tube to the pad on the shoulder harnesses at 10.5". Wife, er BOSS, wanted hers at 11". So be it.

Here's Boss' harness installed:

Took the General out for our first real ride, 50 miles round trip to Cripple Creek, CO.

Good decision on the 2" harnesses. With the shoulder straps coming around the seat back, the pads are in a good location and NO...I mean NO...rubbing on the neck!!!

Another successful General addition!!

Pirate
Looks good. Did you have to bypass your seat belt feature? And is there enough room for expansion for big guys with heavy jackets??

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the PRP 5.3 harnesses. To attach them, I just "bit the bullet" and just purchased these;
https://www.dragonfireracing.com/product/9028/utv-harness-mounting-polaris-general
I was going to fab something similar, but decided it would be simpler albeit a bit pricey. Easy to install and work fine. I'm happy with them.
New seats from Hunter Safety next week!
You can buy the pro armor kits on Ebay which include BOTH driver and passenger mounting brackets by dragonfire, harnesses, and factory style belt override for 300 bucks. Unlike pirate though i went with the 3" black 4 point pro armor harnesses though. And i can openly admit the dragonfire mounting brackets will work with 0 modification with the polaris factory back windows.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can buy the pro armor kits on Ebay which include BOTH driver and passenger mounting brackets by dragonfire, harnesses, and factory style belt override for 300 bucks. Unlike pirate though i went with the 3" black 4 point pro armor harnesses though. And i can openly admit the dragonfire mounting brackets will work with 0 modification with the polaris factory back windows.
I got the harnesses for $100 from a friend that bought them for his new Can Am. Luckily for me, after a couple of days, he got tired of unbuckling/buckling them to get out of his ride to open the too numerous gates where he rode.
New seats, harnesses and mounts were under $1000. Agreed costly, but what are you going to do? The price you pay for safety and a little comfort, eh. :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts