Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one installed or looked at installing a 4 point harness on there bikes yet if so have any ideas. i was looking at the Pro Armor 4 Point Harness 2" Pads Seat Belt PAIR BLUE W/ BYPASS from eBay it comes with the bypass connector and two belts one for the driver and for the passenger. i do not like the factory seat belts it fills like it is trying to cut off my head. (a little melodramatic). and another huge thang for me, is they look BAD ASS!!

Reactions: Camo Duluxe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm planning on getting the general, and also wondered how to mount the harnesses. Maybe mounting points could be built and bolted to the rear cross bar?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't care weather they bolt or just wrap around the bar I was just concerned about where to bold the belt strap behind the seat. What brand of harness do you plan on getting mtrider.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Couple of thoughts...

It will be a lot easier to stiffen the square tube across the back of the General to connect the harnesses to.

Wondering how one uses harnesses when there is no "hole" in the back of the seat? You just bring them around the sides of the headrest portion of the seat? Do they fall down off your shoulders? Say in a roll over?

Gotta figure out how to defeat the seatbelt connected requirement to start the engine?

Hmmmm...

Pirate

·
1,560 Posts
You can start the engine without the seatbelt snapped in, just wont let you get full power. Someone already posted a link to defeating the seatbelt. I will look for it.

·
1,560 Posts
Deluxe Right off the truck thread page 11 Paul H.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mtrider, makeing me fill a little stupid.lol I forgot about the old seat belts come out and I can just use those holes. The set I was looking at on eBay had the bypass plug with it $209.00 U.S. is not bad I thought. And I planned to just go around the head rest it has a chest clip to prevent it from coming of your shoulders.( I hope). Most of the time I plan on just using the lap belt, and then it's the shoulder straps when it gets a little sketchy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just a word of advice for harnesses.......

They have their place, but consider your riding areas and style of riding.

I got tired of the stuck seatbelts in my RZR after a few muddy rides and opted for the PRP 4 pt harnesses. Initially I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread but quickly got as equally frustrated.

The harnesses were great in the summer when I was only wearing t-shirts or the occasional light jacket, but as soon as the cold season hit, I found the harnesses a pain to put on over heavier clothes. In the fall/winter months I would remove the shoulder restraints and just run the lap belts.

I also felt very limited when I wore the full harness. When rock crawling or riding in slow technical trails, I couldn't get that extra bit of movement I needed to pick my line of sight.

On the plus side, they did protect my ass during a rolled over.

I don't expect to drive the Geneal the way I drove the RZR, so stock belts should suffice for me.

Looking cool isn't always practical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Will you be able to put a middle seat in like you can in the rzr. I know you this has a cconsole, but it would be nice for my six yr old if possible. Get mine tomorrow. Yee haw

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
congrats trophyhunter88 i would say there is no way to have a third seat, with that being said you could take the lid of the center console and then maybe give it a few years and, I'm sure some one will come up with one

·
Registered
408 Posts
Couple of thoughts...

It will be a lot easier to stiffen the square tube across the back of the General to connect the harnesses to.

Wondering how one uses harnesses when there is no "hole" in the back of the seat? You just bring them around the sides of the headrest portion of the seat? Do they fall down off your shoulders? Say in a roll over?

Gotta figure out how to defeat the seatbelt connected requirement to start the engine?

Hmmmm...

Pirate
I have seen a plug sold online that you connect to the seatbelt wiring to replace the fact that the seat belt is unbuckled. I suppose it just shorts across the seatbelt wiring instead of relying on the seatbelt switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will find the link tomorrow and post it. There is a kit where you actually cut a hole in the factory seat, insert an opening/ hole that the harness actually goes through your seat. Just like an aftermarket PRP or other race seat. It's not to expensive and it's a real clean looking set up.
Also a good harness will have a strap between the shoulder harnesses keeping them together. In a Razr 1000 I had I left this connected and just lifted the shoulder straps over my head to connect.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Will you be able to put a middle seat in like you can in the rzr. I know you this has a cconsole, but it would be nice for my six yr old if possible. Get mine tomorrow. Yee haw
I was just looking through YouTube and found this video. It looks like someone has figured out a "rumble" seat and a middle seat.

http://youtu.be/lwgPh3om4uc

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if anybody was thinking of installing here are some photos of mine. easy install, and the blue matches perfectly. and shows what the bypass plug looks like. i can not get the photos to post right sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would check your local and state laws on this! Here in California it is not legal to add additional seats to a UTV that wasn't intended to be there from the factory. And on top of that if someone gets hurt or God for bid killed sitting in that seat, ya not only go to jail but your insurance company will not cover the accident.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts