Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$35 DIY Windshield Wiper Install

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas about using a Ford motor for the General windshield wiper. I took all of your great ideas (thanks Elkhunt) and tackled this project over the weekend. I started with a 2005 Ford Escape motor and arm, $25 at a local wrecking yard.

I had some aluminum angle that I pop-riveted to the motor plate (I don’t own a welder!) I then wired a switch in the unit since all my dash switch slots are full of fun accessories! This kept the wiring simple; just a hot line from my fuse block and a ground. The unit needs constant power for the park mode so I switched the red line only.

I extended the arm 1” and trimmed 1” from the Rain-X C-14-1 blade. I do not have a Polaris sound system or a Polaris inside mirror further simplifying my install (I like simple!)

This motor parks the blade on the passenger side so I didn’t need to relocate my dash-cam. It also has a full 170 degree sweep, just missing the two top windshield hinges of my tip-out glass. The $600 Polaris wiper parks on the driver’s side and only wipes part of the passenger side for some reason! This setup clears the windshield for both parties!

I completed this project under $35 and had a fun day in the shop. Besides, it rained outside most of the day anyway!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,193 Posts
Nice idea on the switch also there davidegg22!

Reactions: davidegg22

·
Registered
49 Posts
$35 DIY Windshield Wiper Install

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas about using a Ford motor for the General windshield wiper. I took all of your great ideas (thanks Elkhunt) and tackled this project over the weekend. I started with a 2005 Ford Escape motor and arm, $25 at a local wrecking yard.

I had some aluminum angle that I pop-riveted to the motor plate (I don’t own a welder!) I then wired a switch in the unit since all my dash switch slots are full of fun accessories! This kept the wiring simple; just a hot line from my fuse block and a ground. The unit needs constant power for the park mode so I switched the red line only.

I extended the arm 1” and trimmed 1” from the Rain-X C-14-1 blade. I do not have a Polaris sound system or a Polaris inside mirror further simplifying my install (I like simple!)

This motor parks the blade on the passenger side so I didn’t need to relocate my dash-cam. It also has a full 170 degree sweep, just missing the two top windshield hinges of my tip-out glass. The $600 Polaris wiper parks on the driver’s side and only wipes part of the passenger side for some reason! This setup clears the windshield for both parties!

I completed this project under $35 and had a fun day in the shop. Besides, it rained outside most of the day anyway!
Guessing it's the REAR window motor from the Escape? Did you add a washer fluid res etc?

Don

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice job on the install. Glad my post was of some help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guessing it's the REAR window motor from the Escape? Did you add a washer fluid res etc?

Don
Don, you are right, the wiper motor is from the rear window of said vehicle. I did not mess with the washer fluid resavoire but do carry a bottle of glass cleaner and paper towels if needed. I also noticed that since the wiper is “home” on the passenger side, water occasionally streaks down the drivers side since nothing catches the wiped off water. I do like the 180 degree wipe compared Polaris expensive option. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosers! Thanks for asking and good luck. Dave.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the Polaris wiper & washer jets installed on a fixed Polaris glass windshield.

I like the idea of this Ford wiper, any thoughts on what it would take to switch out the Polaris wiper for the Ford version?

·
Registered
267 Posts
How often do you take your glass windshield on and off?

Quick disconnects for the power when you switch to a half windshield?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Davidegg22, do you have any close up pictures of how you mounted it to the windshield? I'd like to do this!
J Rod, thanks for asking. I used the existing center hole for the wiper shaft. My tip-out windshield already had the hole drilled for the Polaris wiper. All I needed to do was to drill the plastic outside trim piece. I built an aluminum support bracket that matched the location of the pre-drilled second hole Polaris created for support. Again, all I needed to do was to drill the plastic trim and insert a bolt. This keeps the wiper motor from wanting to rotate when activated. You can see the locations of the shaft hole and the support hole from the inside of the tip-out windshield, and maybe also on the lock and ride windshield. I have attached a couple more pictures below. As an added bonus, the wiper clears the roof when the windshield is fully open! Please contact me if you have more questions. Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a wiper motor out of a 2008 Ford Escape. Trying to figure out the wiring. I have the harness from the vehicle and it has 6 wires. A power, ground, park wire, what would the other 3 be? And need to figure out which wires are which.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would put the wiper motor on the bench, open it up and follow the wires to the motor. My setup only used three wires; ground, hot, and switched hot. I used a battery on the bench to determine what wire needed to be hot all the time (Park) and what wire needed to be switched (on-off). Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this same thing, used 2006 Ford Escape rear wiper motor assembly. Installed switch and machined my own block for my support leg. Cut out to use my original rear view mirror. Made my own rubber washers and cut for clearance issues as well as Stainless fender washers. And a big thank you to those who shared descriptions and photo's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would put the wiper motor on the bench, open it up and follow the wires to the motor. My setup only used three wires; ground, hot, and switched hot. I used a battery on the bench to determine what wire needed to be hot all the time (Park) and what wire needed to be switched (on-off). Good luck.
Which one is ground, hot, and switched hot in your setup

·
Registered
464 Posts
I purchased a motor from a salvage yard and it does not rotate 180deg. Working on adding a second wiper to my current set up to clear the entire windshield. A friend of mine came up with the idea and has it up and running.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which one is ground, hot, and switched hot in your setup
Cabinfever1, On my setup, the black wire is ground, the white wire is always hot, and the red wire is also hot but switched. Look back at one of my first pictures to see the detail. Good luck on your project!

·
Registered
591 Posts
For you guys that have put the time and effort into designing this wiper assembly, have you considered putting together a kit with the motor and bracket already to go? If so, I would be interested in purchasing said kit. Or even just the Ford wiper with the bracket already in place. PM me please.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Very nice work and great ideas, thanks for sharing

1 - 20 of 32 Posts