Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 general deluxe, 2 seat
17 Posts
That's my best lead so far, thanks. I've been checking out their U-4047S (swing-away spare mount w/19" length and an angled spare mount). I'd like to know if a 30x10x14 spare will fit on the General without hitting the tail gate.

Which version did you get, and which size spare is on it?
That's the same one I have. The kit comes with 1 stabilizer plate, I also bought a 2nd so I have one on the vertical post as shown in the ad, but I also have the other at the horizontal end coming out of the reciever. Everything is rock solid then. I actually have not put a tire on it yet, I have mounted it on the machine and with the longest version, I'm sure that any tire will work fine. I just got it at the end of the season. I'm a snow bird and spend October through March in southern California and put the machine away for the off season. Will go back in October from my summer home in Washington state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to mention that a friend who also has a general (4 seater) has his spare mounted like baha Charley, standing up in the box. I works fine but takes up to much space in the box and I have my tools and spare gas there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the
I got the Polaris headache rack, and just strapped my spare to it. Being in the desert I totally understand not wanting to travel back a few hours to grab a spare (had that happen to someone else on a ride, and we were 2.5 hours out, so it was about 5 hours for them to get the spare and get back to the machine).
Here is a pic of my current "short trip" setup, I also have the bed extender and for longer trips. I have two of the small Ridgid boxes, one for tools (under the cooler), one for comfort/food items, and one of the medium ones for survival/recovery gear. I still need to work on mounts for Rotopax (I could fit one in the bed now if needed), axe, shovel and hi-lift for longer/camping trips up in the mountains, but am liking how the setup is progressing so far, I am going for a very modular setup so I can remove things when I am just tooling around out back at mi casa. I tilted the bed the other day with the spare strapped to the rack and it did not move at all (everything else was removed at the time).

Here it is with just the spare in the bed...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Amigos amigos amigos
Please do not put your gasoline Rotopax in the bed of your rig. One small leak and POOF you’re up in smoke. Mount them so in case they leak the fuel is not dripping down on your engine (see picture)

Cheers Baja Charlie

EE91E7B5-0382-44D5-A674-1BA25F71DF4B.jpeg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Amigos amigos amigos
Please do not put your gasoline Rotopax in the bed of your rig. One small leak and POOF you’re up in smoke. Mount them so in case they leak the fuel is not dripping down on your engine (see picture)

Cheers Baja Charlie
That is a great suggestion Charlie, I am trying to avoid having them in the bed at all cost. If I go on a longer trip I will be doing as you have done and putting them out on the tailgate using the extender. I am contemplating a mount for the side of the headache rack to carry a 1 gallon Rotopax on each side (fuel on left, water on right) to try to avoid placement directly in the bed. My thinking is being on the outside of the bed area there will be less of a chance of leakage onto the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is a great suggestion Charlie, I am trying to avoid having them in the bed at all cost. If I go on a longer trip I will be doing as you have done and putting them out on the tailgate using the extender. I am contemplating a mount for the side of the headache rack to carry a 1 gallon Rotopax on each side (fuel on left, water on right) to try to avoid placement directly in the bed. My thinking is being on the outside of the bed area there will be less of a chance of leakage onto the engine.
Personally I use a good 2.5 gallon plastic gas can. It's sandwiched in with an old square milk crate on one side and my tool bag on the other side and all 3 are ratchet strapped down using the factory tie downs in the front corners. I ride some very rough terrain and nothing moves at all. I have been looking for something better but haven't found it yet. I don't have a headache rack yet, that might be my next purchase.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Amigos amigos amigos
Please do not put your gasoline Rotopax in the bed of your rig. One small leak and POOF you’re up in smoke. Mount them so in case they leak (which they do eventually)
5F9059E4-FB09-4812-B4D3-7AFCA9A13B18.jpeg
the fuel is not dripping down on your engine

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's my best lead so far, thanks. I've been checking out their U-4047S (swing-away spare mount w/19" length and an angled spare mount). I'd like to know if a 30x10x14 spare will fit on the General without hitting the tail gate.

Which version did you get, and which size spare is on it?
I just got the 19" unit from Hornet. Unfortunately the tailgate does not clear the 30" tire. Back to the drawing board...

20210531_100609.jpg 20210531_100515.jpg 20210531_100525.jpg

WALLY

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just got the 19" unit from Hornet. Unfortunately the tailgate does not clear the 30" tire. Back to the drawing board...
Dang it! UPS delivers mine today. Hmm… Maybe I’ll just live with the tailgate not coming down? I dunno… We’ll see how I fell after I test fit it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I got the Hornet hitch Mount installed today, but have a silly issue: the included 3/8 bolts are 2” long, but have a shank length that doesn’t let me tighten the nuts down all the way to actually hold the spare in place. Am I missing something obvious, or do I need fully-threaded bolts to work with my wheel?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts