21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2022 General XP 4 Deluxe RC
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Speed Shake,
We live here in Payson now.
Quite a few Generals and other SxS's around here.
Was wondering about that weight thing too. Wish i would have seen this yesterday, as i was in the DMV and could have asked them about that.
You will want to make it street legal. You don't need blinkers here as you can use hand signals but we use blinkers. Seen a few SxS's in the Black Hills get rear-ended by not having blinkers and the cost for blinkers is peanuts when compared what can happen IF someone doesn't see you or isn't paying good enough attention.
Johnny 7, I spent 6 weeks in the summer of '84 mapping the Kohl's Ranch/Christopher Creek are as the capstone to my geology curriculum at the "Harvard of Tempe." I then spent quite a bit more time in the area for years after that. I left AZ in '92, but am back now, and was wondering if there a lot of trails for SxS's to explore in the area. I sure would love that, but my days of climbing Kush Hill on the North side are long gone, hence why I'm buying a General.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I ordered my XP last week but I wasn't advised it would be the 2022, my dealer said it could be a 2022 when they start the build. Have you , officially , been advised bt Polaris it would be the 2022 for sure?
Now that you ask, I can't say that for sure, but I think so. I'll ask my dealer and get back to you.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Are you saying that because of the high clearance A-arms on the XP that I probably don't need the guards for them?
Not saying that at all. As that is ones personal choice. Depends on where/what you will be riding.
Definitely go with UHMW skid plate. We have used the 3/8'' and that is plenty thick for anything we would ever hit.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Here is a copy of my order for the FACTORY UTV "Ultimate Set of UHMW skid plates"
You email them and ask for the Polaris General Forum Discount.
Get the 3 piece main skid plate as much easier to handle.

������
ProductQuantityPrice
Polaris General Ultimate UHMW Skid Package
  • UHMW Thickness:
    3/8"
  • Trim Options::
    General XP 1000
  • Year::
    ( 2020 - 2021+ )
1$930.06
Subtotal:$930.06
Discount:-$50.00
Tax:$0.00
Payment method:Credit or Debit Card
Total:$880.06
Note:Please email when & how shipped and also tracking number.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the General Forum Discount!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It was free shipping for the Ultimate Set also.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,007 Posts
Reply to Buelligan666:

Many thanks for taking the time to catch a number of things I had incorrect: the $815 was the price for the G2, not G4; more pieces to the Trailer Armor (TA) versus the SSS Off-road skid plate (not even counting the sliders). As a noob/novice, who was 2/3 into a bottle of wine last night when I was checking things out, I didn’t catch what you caught, and for that I am most grateful.

I will say that the TA website is terribly designed. You have to page through all the products that are not organized at all rather than having products arranged by machine. That’s not very customer-centric.

A couple of questions arise that I was hoping you might address:
  • The seams for the TA skid run from front to back, where the SSS runs side to side. Do you think that an issue at all?
  • It appears as though the sliders on the TA product are NOT integrated with the skid, i.e. they are separate pieces, and not simply the edge of the skid formed and rounded up, which I had interpreted from the photos. In retrospect though, I would guess NOT being a single piece of material is actually a good thing, in that if the slider gets damaged, you can simply replace that slider without having to replace the entire skid. Would you agree with that statement? Given that SSS does have a one-piece design I’d be very appreciative of your thoughts on that.
  • It did appear as though the TA package DID include A-arm guards for the G2. I couldn’t find the same photos for the G4 (again, a poorly designed web site makes the digging more difficult). My dealer warned about the CV boot issue too, with debris collecting up inside the guards. Perhaps the best solution is skid + sliders, and wait and see if I need A-arm guards? Of course, the only downside to that strategy is the way you find out that you need A-arm guards is only after you’ve done the damage. Do you think going with just the skid and sliders is the way to go for this newbie?
  • When it comes to sliders, should I be going for steel rather than UHMW? In that case, perhaps go with a UHMW skid, but buy the Polaris steel sliders?
Thank you for the heads up on the forum discount too!
Where the seams are the front overlaps the rear. They are machine cut and fit very tightly.I don't know if the side to side seams will be an issue in some rock crawling type situations. For the majority of my riding I don't see it being an issue. I don't know of anyone making a full 1 piece skid for a 4 seater. I will post pictures of my installed skid.

You bring a valid point, modular pieces are easier to replace. I feel a one piece design using UHMW is very very durable. If you damaged the slider portion badly enough to require replacement, you probably totaled your machine. Just my opinion. The material is virtually indestructible. My Factory UTV skid plate after being on for a full year, was barely scratched. I rode for 4 days at Windrock and that's a pretty gnarly place.

I agree the website is poorly designed. If you click the company logo at the top of the page, it will take you to a page where you can select vehicles. I think they falsely included pictures of the arm guards, however no where in the description does it talk about them. I could be wrong.

A-arm guards for me, I didn't like them. If you ride in a rocky area with not a lot of mud, they might be worth the added protection. Make sure they fit the XP model. Factory UTV makes front guards for the XP, but no rear guards as of yet. I didn't really research guards.

I really liked my Factory UTV UHMW sliders on my 2 seater. I did have to notch them to work with the Polaris extreme kick out sliders. I unknowingly bought my "tree kickers" without having thought of rocker protection (newb mistake). I decided to go a different route with this machine. I want to get the Side by Custom rock sliders that incorporate a tree kicker. They can also double as a step.

IMG_20210522_181350690.jpg
IMG_20210522_181443378.jpg
IMG_20210522_181432399.jpg
IMG_20210522_181452583.jpg
IMG_20210522_181509655.jpg
IMG_20210522_181517174.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kevinmconnors62,
Like you, I am new to the Side by Side world and waiting for our General (non-XP) to arrive (late June???), so I can't help you with any of the details of the machine. But if/when you decide to take a boat with you, I recommend considering a packraft. Weighs less than 10 pounds and rolls up the size of a two man backpacking tent. Add a breakdown paddle (I like the four piece ones), PFD, and helmet (if you plan to do WW) and you are set to tackle just about any lake or river....and Arizona has some nice places....at the right time of year of course.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Reactions: RAB005

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here is a copy of my order for the FACTORY UTV "Ultimate Set of UHMW skid plates"
You email them and ask for the Polaris General Forum Discount.
Get the 3 piece main skid plate as much easier to handle.

������
ProductQuantityPrice
Polaris General Ultimate UHMW Skid Package
  • UHMW Thickness:
    3/8"
  • Trim Options::
    General XP 1000
  • Year::
    ( 2020 - 2021+ )
1$930.06
Subtotal:$930.06
Discount:-$50.00
Tax:$0.00
Payment method:Credit or Debit Card
Total:$880.06
Note:Please email when & how shipped and also tracking number.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the General Forum Discount!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Johnny7!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this for? Is this the "tire plug" that has been mentioned above?
Its not a tire plug per se. It will seal a side wall tear to get you off the trail though. I've seen a few sidewall tears that plugs just couldn't seal and these would have. Anybody riding alone should have these in addition to a plug kit (with lots of plugs and a compressor).

Reactions: Buelligan666

·
Registered
2019 G4 1000 EPS RC
4 Posts
Greetings from the Central AZ desert... Just ordered my 2022 XP 4 Deluxe RC in Ghost White. First-time owner of ANY ATV/UTV. My father once told me, "Don't be afraid to buy the best son. You'll never be disappointed." How true, but a blessing and a curse... Now the wait until August (if I'm lucky).

My plan is to build out for 2-3 day camping trips, to be able to get to places that my 58 year old body can no longer walk, and day rides, all over AZ, from the low desert to the Colorado Plateau. I'm not a hunter, but I am a shooter, and a reasonably decent landscape photographer (www.coasthighwayphoto.com). I'll be riding with others mostly, but out there on my own too. I also have a well-made Newport Vessels inflatable 4man dinghy to boot that could come in handy on rare occasions camping by water, but I'd need a smaller trailer to haul that behind me.

Hopefully that gives you a good idea of how I plan to use my General. So what are my absolute must-haves for my build out?

Here's what I've gone with in accessories:

Glass tip-out windshield (Polaris)
Glass rear panel (Polaris)
Kick out rock sliders (Polaris)
Upper front brush guard (Polaris)
Rear brush guard (Polaris)
Spare tire
Razorback Offroad Expedition Rack + mounts + Rotopax 2 gal. Fuel (2)
Street legal with turn signals, license plate bracket, horn
Seizmik side mirrors
RIGID 10” lightbar (for front bumper, chose not to put a bar on roof)
RIGID rear facing pods (for lighting up bed and behind)
Cab light
Siezmik grab handles (3, for passengers)
Dash bag
Between seats storage bag

What might I be missing?

I’m considering skid plate/A-arm guards, but there doesn’t seem to be anything from the factory for that—looks like all third party vendors. Do you have a recommendation for one?

Is there anything else you’d add?

Thank you in advance for your response, and thank you to all contributors here: I’ve learned a great deal about my soon-to-be-mine machine.
I have the RBO expedition rack and the ability to lock up your items is great. The tailgate will not open to vandals because of the tire however the weight of the tire is a concern when tipping the bed. RBO instructions recommend removing the tire.

I keep a lock on the gate all the time as insurance to prevent the gate from opening. IF the tailgate was to swing open on a slope it could make a difference as it would change the COG (center of gravity), a lock prevents that from happening. I love the rack and options for storage and security it provides. Yup, the tire does block some rear vision but side mirrors help.

As for bed storage I find that although a large box is great the rack prevents me from opening the lid widely. I have gone to smaller boxes and find the the 22" Rigid Tool system works for my needs. They are IP rated as I recall at IP 4 3. Unless overpacked dust is seldom noted and can withstand a power wash if not directed at the mating surfaces. They lock together and are easy to handle.

We spend winters in the AJ area and I also enjoy photographing landscapes. Riding in groups makes it difficult to stop at that great spot to take pics as not everyone sees it through a lens. Our plan for the ATV also includes short camping trips and we have an enclosed trailer which is capable of providing security and if needed shelter.

You have a great eye and I appreciate the photography on your site. Hope to meet up in AZ sometime. Currently at our summer residence in Oscoda, MI.

·
Registered
2022 general xp4 ordered impatiently waiting
17 Posts
I ordered my XP last week but I wasn't advised it would be the 2022, my dealer said it could be a 2022 when they start the build. Have you , officially , been advised bt Polaris it would be the 2022 for sure?
I ordered my xp4 Tuesday and was told it would be a 2022 without a doubt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Greetings from the Central AZ desert... Just ordered my 2022 XP 4 Deluxe RC in Ghost White. First-time owner of ANY ATV/UTV. My father once told me, "Don't be afraid to buy the best son. You'll never be disappointed." How true, but a blessing and a curse... Now the wait until August (if I'm lucky).

My plan is to build out for 2-3 day camping trips, to be able to get to places that my 58 year old body can no longer walk, and day rides, all over AZ, from the low desert to the Colorado Plateau. I'm not a hunter, but I am a shooter, and a reasonably decent landscape photographer (www.coasthighwayphoto.com). I'll be riding with others mostly, but out there on my own too. I also have a well-made Newport Vessels inflatable 4man dinghy to boot that could come in handy on rare occasions camping by water, but I'd need a smaller trailer to haul that behind me.

Hopefully that gives you a good idea of how I plan to use my General. So what are my absolute must-haves for my build out?

Here's what I've gone with in accessories:

Glass tip-out windshield (Polaris)
Glass rear panel (Polaris)
Kick out rock sliders (Polaris)
Upper front brush guard (Polaris)
Rear brush guard (Polaris)
Spare tire
Razorback Offroad Expedition Rack + mounts + Rotopax 2 gal. Fuel (2)
Street legal with turn signals, license plate bracket, horn
Seizmik side mirrors
RIGID 10” lightbar (for front bumper, chose not to put a bar on roof)
RIGID rear facing pods (for lighting up bed and behind)
Cab light
Siezmik grab handles (3, for passengers)
Dash bag
Between seats storage bag

What might I be missing?

I’m considering skid plate/A-arm guards, but there doesn’t seem to be anything from the factory for that—looks like all third party vendors. Do you have a recommendation for one?

Is there anything else you’d add?

Thank you in advance for your response, and thank you to all contributors here: I’ve learned a great deal about my soon-to-be-mine machine.
Don't waste your money on the Polaris Kick out rock sliders, they look great, but are too thin & will get destroyed the first time up against rocks with them. There are several good ones out there, I just installed these from Well Watch LLC - Mike McClure (on facebook, phone # (785) 798-2184) they make a great high quality product & has great customer service & fast shipping. Facebook

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Its not a tire plug per se. It will seal a side wall tear to get you off the trail though. I've seen a few sidewall tears that plugs just couldn't seal and these would have. Anybody riding alone should have these in addition to a plug kit (with lots of plugs and a compressor).
Thank you sir for taking the time to educate me. Very much appreciated as I get ready to become a General owner...in about 3 freakin' months...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have the RBO expedition rack and the ability to lock up your items is great. The tailgate will not open to vandals because of the tire however the weight of the tire is a concern when tipping the bed. RBO instructions recommend removing the tire.

I keep a lock on the gate all the time as insurance to prevent the gate from opening. IF the tailgate was to swing open on a slope it could make a difference as it would change the COG (center of gravity), a lock prevents that from happening. I love the rack and options for storage and security it provides. Yup, the tire does block some rear vision but side mirrors help.

As for bed storage I find that although a large box is great the rack prevents me from opening the lid widely. I have gone to smaller boxes and find the the 22" Rigid Tool system works for my needs. They are IP rated as I recall at IP 4 3. Unless overpacked dust is seldom noted and can withstand a power wash if not directed at the mating surfaces. They lock together and are easy to handle.

We spend winters in the AJ area and I also enjoy photographing landscapes. Riding in groups makes it difficult to stop at that great spot to take pics as not everyone sees it through a lens. Our plan for the ATV also includes short camping trips and we have an enclosed trailer which is capable of providing security and if needed shelter.

You have a great eye and I appreciate the photography on your site. Hope to meet up in AZ sometime. Currently at our summer residence in Oscoda, MI.

View attachment 70888 View attachment 70889
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and pictures of your General! And thank you for the kind words regarding my photography. I had a great portrait/commercial photography business for many years in N. County San Diego, but the ubiquity of digital cameras finally caught up with me and I had to close the business about 2 years ago. You just can't make a living as a photographer anymore.

Your rig looks fantastic. I hadn't thought of the limitations of the RBO Expedition Rack though. Are you able to swing open the gate when you're on level ground? I plan to do the exact same configuration as what you've got, but accessing the bed during a ride will be important. I really like the security of the locking gate/rack, but if that makes it often times inaccessible, then perhaps I need to rethink. RBO has the other rack without the gate, but then you lose the ability to mount the spare tire on the back. What are your thoughts on that?

I love the look of a General with full doors, but would that be overkill for an Arizonan who lives here year round as I do? Not to mention the expense of course. You mention you winter in Apache Junction and that you like the security of the full doors, but don't they make it a hot ride and impair your view a bit, given the temperatures are reasonable, especially in winter? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, as I'm willing to spend the extra bucks but wonder again if it's overkill for someone who lives here in AZ year round. I will of course be carrying security with me at all times ;).

Again, thank you for your time and comments, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above questions. Many thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Don't waste your money on the Polaris Kick out rock sliders, they look great, but are too thin & will get destroyed the first time up against rocks with them. There are several good ones out there, I just installed these from Well Watch LLC - Mike McClure (on facebook, phone # (785) 798-2184) they make a great high quality product & has great customer service & fast shipping. Facebook
Thank you for your comment but your link has been taken down or something.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts