Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris General XP4 Ultimate
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has heard this or read about others having similar issue.

2022 Polaris General front clunking noise - YouTube

Quick Back Story- It was extremely hard to locate a new General XP4, my local dealer (NW Suburbs of Chicago) said it would be 6 months to a year before I could get one. I spent a lot of time searching and finally found an XP4 1000 Ultimate at a dealer that just got one in about 4 hour drive away. We drove and picked it up, quick test drive but can't remember if I heard this or not..

When you are in high and going very slow, under 5 MPH you hear this noise coming from the front right area. I just thought it was normal, as the transmission is very clunky and since it was new I purchased this brand new in September. I drove it a few times, just around a field. It has 20 miles on it. I can't remember if this noise was there when I took delivery or not. I have only driven a RZR a few times a few years ago but the main reason I purchased the General was to be able to plow with it.

One of my friends that is more knowledgeable came to check it out and heard the noise and said "Thats not normal" So I tried to take it to my local dealer and they told me it would be 2 months before they could even take a look at it. Told me to take it back to where I bought it from, but I was not about to drive 4 hours!

I called around and found another dealer about 20 miles away that could get it in sooner, this was late October. They checked it out and had no idea. They sent a claim to Polaris but they kept requesting pictures of the internal front axle and other parts. The pictures looked normal to them, so they kept requesting more "pull aparts" the dealer said, now it is November 18th and they still are dealing with Polaris and trying to get replacement parts but still have no idea what is causing it. Its just one excuse after another when I call to check on it.. We already had our first snow and I am getting nervous that my $35k purchase is going to spend the winter in the shop. Beyond frustrating at this point!

Here is a video of the noise! Please, any feedback would be appreciated!
Cheers!
Jeff

2022 Polaris General front clunking noise - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
5,022 Posts
So let me get this straight...
"in high and going very slow, under 5 MPH you hear this noise coming from the front right area" You ought to be in "L" range.

Does your machine make this noise when in "L" range at the same speed?

When making this clunking noise is the AWD switch ON or OFF?
If you flip the AWD switch the opposite does it make the clunking noise?

"as the transmission is very clunky" By this you mean the Transmission that is behind you at the back of the Engine compartment?
Or perhaps you meant the Hilliard Front Differential?

Your answers will go a long way in helping us help you.
Pirate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When in L, it does not make the noise. Its only when in H going slow. It makes the noise regardless of 1,2 or 4 wheel drive is on. The dealer thinks something is wrong but Polaris wants them to tear apart the axle and take pictures and they said if they do that I am looking at a month to get this back. I bought this for snow plowing and I don't want it in the shop all winter. I am debating whether I go and pick it up and deal with it later or just keep waiting around. I purchased the extended warranty so I think I can get it fixed regardless of the 6 month warranty, I would imagine...

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
So haver you pinned it down as to whether it's the front differential or the front suspension?
Very odd that it's quiet in L but clunky in H. How about in R?
Pirate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the dealer I have it at now is trying to get Polaris to replace the front axle in one piece, he told me that even if its something inside, they will usually send an entire axle anyways. From what I gather, they don't want to tear it apart, like Polaris is asking them to do.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Best to get it fixed now, if you keep running it and something else gets wrecked, will Polaris say it because of lack of maintenance or something?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
A dealer dismantling an ale isn't going to tell them much anyway.
It could be one or more of the CV Joint balls is making noise inside the cage, maybe the ball is damaged, maybe the ball(s) are too large or too small.
Perhaps the inner ball retainer is defective or damaged.
perhaps the outer ball retainer is defective or damaged.
Neither can be replaced.
It might be that the CV Joint didn't have enough lubricant in it to start with. So the balls and retainers got damaged as the lapped in to fit together.
A whole host of things that could impact a CV Joint.
So dealer just needs to replace it and be done!
Pirate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts