Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently purchased a 2021 XP1000 4 seater with all the bells and whistles. Cab heater, the works.... so it overheated twice with under a 100 miles on it. dealer loaded it up and took it back and thought it had an air bubble due to heater install.....it overheated the second time and he came and got it and worked on it to no avail and afterwards got in touch with Polaris engineers.....turns out the accessory dept at polaris made changes to the heater kit bracket at the thermostat that would not let the "plate" open properly. Solution recommended by the polaris engineer was to drill two 1/8'' holes in the plate which allows the fluid to flow properly. Engineer told my dealer that they are seeing this more on the XP models for whatever reasons. Just wanted to put this out there is someone is experiencing the same issue with no solution yet. Have a great day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had recently purchased a 2021 XP1000 4 seater with all the bells and whistles. Cab heater, the works.... so it overheated twice with under a 100 miles on it. dealer loaded it up and took it back and thought it had an air bubble due to heater install.....it overheated the second time and he came and got it and worked on it to no avail and afterwards got in touch with Polaris engineers.....turns out the accessory dept at polaris made changes to the heater kit bracket at the thermostat that would not let the "plate" open properly. Solution recommended by the polaris engineer was to drill two 1/8'' holes in the plate which allows the fluid to flow properly. Engineer told my dealer that they are seeing this more on the XP models for whatever reasons. Just wanted to put this out there is someone is experiencing the same issue with no solution yet. Have a great day.
WOW this reads like I wrote it lol We have the same machine with ride command. Day we brought it home drove it a mile down the pasture and it overheated. Dealer didn't get all the air out of the line. Took to Utah on vac and it overheated in real sandy trails, figured it was working trani too hard. Then went to Bryce Canyon and 5 miles into ride it overheats again. Left for Moab and had a repair shop get more air out of lines, thought it fixed issue - NOPE so they disabled the heaters thermostat and we were finally able to ride the trail. Currently waiting on dealer to get new heater thermostat in , but sounds like we may not want it lol Had to spend just of $200 and little over 4 hrs in the parking lot to jimmy rig and brand new machine so we could use it. Shop was not a dealer so no warranty work. Be looking for a refund from somebody lol

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW this reads like I wrote it lol We have the same machine with ride command. Day we brought it home drove it a mile down the pasture and it overheated. Dealer didn't get all the air out of the line. Took to Utah on vac and it overheated in real sandy trails, figured it was working trani too hard. Then went to Bryce Canyon and 5 miles into ride it overheats again. Left for Moab and had a repair shop get more air out of lines, thought it fixed issue - NOPE so they disabled the heaters thermostat and we were finally able to ride the trail. Currently waiting on dealer to get new heater thermostat in , but sounds like we may not want it lol Had to spend just of $200 and little over 4 hrs in the parking lot to jimmy rig and brand new machine so we could use it. Shop was not a dealer so no warranty work. Be looking for a refund from somebody lol
My dealer has been absolutely fantastic taking care of all issues. He cam 35 miles and trailered my General to the dealership and delivered it when repaired on 3 different occasions!!! Ever since they drilled the holes in the plate my general has ran about 10-15 degrees cooler and has never come close to getting hot again, even in 95 degree weather. I hope they are able to fix your buggy.

·
Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
468 Posts
Not sure if I'll get a response here on this old thread, you guys think this issue was remedied in the 22's? (did they fix the bracket/plate issue? Drill holes?) I'll have to ask the father-in-law as I am having them install a factory heater as well. Thanks!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
.....turns out the accessory dept at polaris made changes to the heater kit bracket at the thermostat that would not let the "plate" open properly. Solution recommended by the polaris engineer was to drill two 1/8'' holes in the plate which allows the fluid to flow properly. ...
Can you explain what this "plate" is and exactly where they drilled the holes? I'm dubious of this being an actual solution to the problem.

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,214 Posts
Not sure if I'll get a response here on this old thread, you guys think this issue was remedied in the 22's? (did they fix the bracket/plate issue? Drill holes?) I'll have to ask the father-in-law as I am having them install a factory heater as well. Thanks!!
No issues with my 22. I pulled a 6' digger working up food plots this fall and pulled a 6'x10' sturgeon shack 2 weeks ago 5 miles with a grill cover on. Never saw it above 203*... polaris heater installed

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you explain what this "plate" is and exactly where they drilled the holes? I'm dubious of this being an actual solution to the problem.
The way it was explained to me it was the plate that opens to let fluid flow..... not real sure as I am not a mechanic, but I have had zero issues with my machine since they did that and have well over 1000 miles on it through the mountainous terrain of the Mountains of Appalachia......

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,875 Posts
So, now that you have that overheating issue corrected...
Add a:
UTV Inc. fan override kit.
Font Cable Automotive lighting Wire Audio equipment

SuperATV HD Radiator
Rectangle Font Grille Parallel Automotive radiator part

Engine Ice Coolant
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Font

With these three, I'm typically out there running the desert in Arizona. The rockies in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho.
And the coolant temperature is in the range of 178 to 186 degrees F. Sometimes up to 201F on a long uphill grade, but promptly drops after topping out.

Just what I've done...not exactly sure why...but I like a cool running machine!
Pirate

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,218 Posts
So, now that you have that overheating issue corrected...
Add a:
UTV Inc. fan override kit.
View attachment 75161
SuperATV HD Radiator
View attachment 75162
Engine Ice Coolant
View attachment 75163
With these three, I'm typically out there running the desert in Arizona. The rockies in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho.
And the coolant temperature is in the range of 178 to 186 degrees F. Sometimes up to 201F on a long uphill grade, but promptly drops after topping out.

Just what I've done...not exactly sure why...but I like a cool running machine!
Pirate
All that extra effort to keep the machine running cool, but you still had to rebuild the top end at 9000 miles? Doesn't seem worth the extra money and effort, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
All that extra effort to keep the machine running cool, but you still had to rebuild the top end at 9000 miles? Doesn't seem worth the extra money and effort, but that's just me.
As I noted in another post. I think, I think, a lot of the valve guide wear/damage was a function of all the times the Misfire Detection occurred. For my General it first showed up in early January 2018, when we were in Arizona. It was occurring as many as 10 times a day, every day, for the three weeks we were there! Had the Polaris recall to reprogram the ECU, and getting the Misfire Detection issue, in September 2017. Got my DuraClutch kit in October 2017 and installed it. And then everything goes to s*** in Arizona.

Started off working with DuraClutch got new Primary Clutch, new weights, new belts. Worked with DuraClutch Engineers as Field Engineer. No success at all.
Got home, found out about Gilomen Innovations. Called Terry and purchased a new ECU with full program. Misfire Detection issue disappeared.
Did this play a role in the valve guide wear?
I had a 1998 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton truck. First 24 valve Cummins in the area. Had dealer install a Pac-Brake exhaust brake. I stuck on me a number of times. It was a design issue.
Started hearing something under the hood. Dodge diesel mechanic on vacation. Other mechanics said it sounded OK. Driving down steep grade coming home from Denver, whump, what was that?
dropped an exhaust valve in the #4 cylinder. And that's what makes me think it had to do with the Misfire Detection. My poor luck, not sure anyone has posted having it happen more times
than I have.
Now the cooler temps, of course I have EBS and just wouldn't be without it. Did that have something to do with the Top End needing work? The cylinder walls look excellent! The factory hone crosshatch pattern had some wear, but was still very evident. The pistons looked great too. So I don't think the One-way bearing at as much as the EBS gets used in the mountains we ride, and Moab slickrock trails, was a cause. And with the cylinders and pistons looking so good, I've never gotten dust in the engine.
Can I define the the "root cause" of the extreme valve guide wear? Nope, but I can look at my machine history and speculate!!

Pirate

·
Registered
921 Posts
The way it was explained to me it was the plate that opens to let fluid flow..... .
This is NOT picking on you, just pointing out some facts for all.
Drilling the plate in the thermostat is not a solution to the problem of the plate not being able to open fully (causing overheating issues)...it is a bandaid. The holes allow fluid to flow past the plate when it should be closed (i.e. when you want heat in the cab). In effect they are reducing your heater output by doing this "fix". I would stay after the dealer/Polaris for a corrected thermostat design.

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is NOT picking on you, just pointing out some facts for all.
Drilling the plate in the thermostat is not a solution to the problem of the plate not being able to open fully (causing overheating issues)...it is a bandaid. The holes allow fluid to flow past the plate when it should be closed (i.e. when you want heat in the cab). In effect they are reducing your heater output by doing this "fix". I would stay after the dealer/Polaris for a corrected thermostat design.
They actually put a newer updated thermostat in when they made the fix. It throws very good heat, actually at 10 degrees outside it will run you out. I never have any issues with not getting good heat from the heater.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks all,

Glad it's fixed, hoping the new heater that will be installed in my 22 will have the updated Tstat (I'm sure they do) Maybe I shouldn't be "sure" lol

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Oh, and I forgot the fourth piece of my extra cooling response...the Gilomen Innovations full program.
Terry has cheated a bit by richening the fuel air mixture for better performance and he says it may drop coolant temp by 10 degrees.
Plus so many more improvements to performance!!
Pirate

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm confused, you twice said they drilled holes in the t-stat but now say they replaced the entire thing. Was this 2 different solutions over time?
I said they drilled a "Plate" that was not opening properly......so not sure where the t-stat comment came from but I know they drilled two holes in a PLATE.

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I said they drilled a "Plate" that was not opening properly......so not sure where the t-stat comment came from but I know they drilled two holes in a PLATE.
I know they replaced the thermostat but also drilled a "Plate" in there somewhere. Like I said I am not a mechanic so who knows....all I know is that I have had zero issues with it since and it has the full doors and weighs a ton.....so if it was going to overheat it would have by now......

·
Registered
468 Posts
Glad it's working now, thank you for the info! I'm gonna mention it to my dealer just in case!! Thanks again! Maybe they replaced the tstat but then had to drill the plate inside anyways.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts