Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 XP 2 seat,, 400 miles, when I let off gas at about 30MPH or more I hear a rattle or almost like a chain rattle. Is this the belt slapping I've read about? Hit the gas, it goes away, hit the breaks it goes away. It's the intermediate coasting when you hear it I'm in high range.
Thanks for any feedback.
djh

·
Registered
116 Posts
Belt slap, Polaris says they fixed it, evidently not. Fixed my 2020 XP with Gilomen Clutch kit, then went with a DuraClutch.and Tune. Now completely different machine no more rev it up and go go, now it is just go.

·
Registered
2021 General XP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Belt slap, Polaris says they fixed it, evidently not. Fixed my 2020 XP with Gilomen Clutch kit, then went with a DuraClutch.and Tune. Now completely different machine no more rev it up and go go, now it is just go.
Ordered Gilomen belt, do I need clutch kit as well?
I guess I'm asking, is it the belt or the clutch.

Thanks all for your replies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From my understanding it has to do with the springs in the primary and secondary clutches. You could call or email Gilomen and they will give you the information your looking for. The quick and easy is changing the belt, but really think you will have the same issue.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General XP-2 1000 Deluxe Ride Command
370 Posts
My 2020 did this when I first got it but after the warranty parts change they did, it stopped completely.

Note: I do have a HW belt and white washer installed also.

·
Registered
2021 G4 XP Deluxe
12 Posts
I was battling the same thing with my 2021 XP G4. I solved the problem thanks to Hunterworks with the Dalton Kit and white primary washer. Polaris is telling me that they fixed it by the time my machine was built however, I have a CVT cover that says otherwise...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was battling the same thing with my 2021 XP G4. I solved the problem thanks to Hunterworks with the Dalton Kit and white primary washer. Polaris is telling me that they fixed it by the time my machine was built however, I have a CVT cover that says otherwise...
I agree either the Hunterworks belt and Dalton Clutch kit or the Gilomen belt and clutch kit fixes the problem, and you should switch out the pucks in the secondary clutch to rollers. And also agree that he will get the same story from dealer that he has the 2021 and they fixed the problem... but NOT!

·
Registered
2021 General XP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does replacing/rebuilding clutch void warranty. I have yet to purchase the extended warranty.
Could not get Hunterworks belt, out of stock.

·
Registered
2021 G4 XP Deluxe
12 Posts
Does replacing/rebuilding clutch void warranty. I have yet to purchase the extended warranty.
Could not get Hunterworks belt, out of stock.
It should only void the warranty on your clutch which is only 6 months anyway. I have an extended warranty on mine but doesn’t cover the clutch.

·
Registered
2020 XP4
18 Posts
Ordered Gilomen belt, do I need clutch kit as well?
I guess I'm asking, is it the belt or the clutch.

Thanks all for your replies.
If the noise is belt slap, it is the helix in the secondary clutch. Polaris has a recall they will apply (free), if you just bought the machine I am pretty suprised they didn't just install it (I am also suprised they didn't build it out with the corrected helix). Otherwise Gilomen has a helix (and a corresponding secondary spring) that is more responsive than the stock which also includes the notch to lock the clutch, maintain belt tension and stop the slap on deceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 XP 2 seat,, 400 miles, when I let off gas at about 30MPH or more I hear a rattle or almost like a chain rattle. Is this the belt slapping I've read about? Hit the gas, it goes away, hit the breaks it goes away. It's the intermediate coasting when you hear it I'm in high range.
Thanks for any feedback.
djh
I too have a rattle /squeal noise on my 2020 General XP at 30 MPH that sounds similar to your description. Add throttle or decel and noise goes away. It happens when barely accelerating just enough to keep at speed.

I did previously have the notorious belt slapping on decel at around 5 MPH. I installed the Dalton clutch kit and Hunterworks belt with white washer. It completely fixed the belt slapping and I am happy with the fix/upgrade but I still have the rattle/squeal noise at 30MPH.

There is a video clip that someone on Facebook, "Polaris General XP 1000 Riders", posted last week where another owner is describing and showing on video the same noise and asking for fix ideas. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have a rattle /squeal noise on my 2020 General XP at 30 MPH that sounds similar to your description. Add throttle or decel and noise goes away. It happens when barely accelerating just enough to keep at speed.

I did previously have the notorious belt slapping on decel at around 5 MPH. I installed the Dalton clutch kit and Hunterworks belt with white washer. It completely fixed the belt slapping and I am happy with the fix/upgrade but I still have the rattle/squeal noise at 30MPH.

There is a video clip that someone on Facebook, "Polaris General XP 1000 Riders", posted last week where another owner is describing and showing on video the same noise and asking for fix ideas. Any help appreciated.
Link

1 - 14 of 14 Posts