Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Did it run fine when you first put in the clutches and clutch kit?

·
Registered
2021 Polaris XP-4 General
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Did it run fine when you first put in the clutches and clutch kit?
Yes it ran great. This is why I am starting to think that the spider nut is no longer torqued. I hope to get into that in the next few days, re-torque both the spider and the spider nut and see if that fixes the problem. This sure is frustrating!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Let there be no doubt. Problems like this can make a man bald!

But keep working your way through our suggestions and you will find it...be sure to share what you find as you go through them.
And especially what the root cause is. We all like to learn!!
Hang in there!!
And doing it this way is a whole lot cheaper than taking it to a Dealer!!
Pirate

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Let there be no doubt. Problems like this can make a man bald!

But keep working your way through our suggestions and you will find it...be sure to share what you find as you go through them.
And especially what the root cause is. We all like to learn!!
Hang in there!!
And doing it this way is a whole lot cheaper than taking it to a Dealer!!
Pirate
Thanks again for all your help. I am zeroing in on the primary clutch spider and/or spider nuts coming loose. I am going to check that today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update: Based on discussions with you guys, Facebook forum, and some clutch experts, the recommendation was to dive into my primary clutch and check the torque on the spider nut and the spider itself. I took it apart and wouldn’t you know the spider nut was completely backed off! I checked the spider itself and it was still torqued down to 300 foot pounds. I cleaned things up, use Loctite 620 on the threads of the spider nut, and put it back together. After 24 hours which is tomorrow morning I should be able to take it off but I think I found the root cause.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You are very welcome.
This is what our Forum is all about.

Reactions: Papermaker

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Ummmm....Johnny7, since it's Thanksgiving and all. Don't you suppose it's proper to send Raptor88 an invoice for all the Braun cells we killed trying to help come up with the solution??
I mean after all, what are they worth, a couple millionths of a penny? And you and I are already short more than that. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2021 general deluxe, 2 seat
52 Posts
My clutch problems have been numerous since I bought the machine a year ago. I have blown at least four belts, pulled the primary apart to re-torque the spider and spider nut, and still was getting a lot of heat. Finally the primary broke internally with 2 weights stuck and part of the casing on the slider broke) and I purchased another primary and secondary that only had 300 miles on it (recently). I did this because Todd felt both clutches were very suspect with the excessive heat I have had since I have on the machine so replace both. I also checked the alignment between the two clutches (something Todd at Hunterworks said could be causing the excessive heat) and found it off about 1/32 of an inch off. I realigned them before using my new replacement clutches and took it out for a few rides and have been monitoring the internal temp with my clutch belt infrared temp gauge…all good. I am surmising that clutches were not in line from day one which was generating the excessive heat which is the probable cause of my belts breaking. This is why I am now speculating that I may have a fuel problem versus a clutch problem. Like I said earlier, I took the general out after the clutch realignment and installed with the Dalton clutch kit and everything worked perfectly including top speed and RPM expectations. Sorry for the long note… Had to summarize the history.
I'm curious, what gear do you run in when below 30 mph? Running in high at low rpm will cause clutch and belt over heating.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm curious, what gear do you run in when below 30 mph? Running in high at low rpm will cause clutch and belt over heating.
When I first started riding a side-by-side as a rookie a year ago, I did stay in high gear a lot. I learned through some burned out belts that I should be in low most of the time. I have since fixed that and under 30 staying low all the time.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Ummmm....Johnny7, since it's Thanksgiving and all. Don't you suppose it's proper to send Raptor88 an invoice for all the Braun cells we killed trying to help come up with the solution??
I mean after all, what are they worth, a couple millionths of a penny? And you and I are already short more than that. Thoughts??
He seems like a nice person and being we are up in age and with diminishing brain activity, we can let it slide this time.
These young whipper snappers will be helping us out down the trail a ways.
Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving and everyone returns home safe if out traveling.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
He seems like a nice person and being we are up in age and with diminishing brain activity, we can let it slide this time.
These young whipper snappers will be helping us out down the trail a ways.
Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving and everyone returns home safe if out traveling.
I’m very sorry I expedited the depletion of your brain cells! I also appreciate the compliment of being called a young whipper snapper at age 60!
Thanks again for being the “grey beards” on this forum!
Safe riding!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts