Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP 1000 4 seater
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the cam chain break?
It looks like the bolt that secures the fixed cam chain guide, had loosened and backed off (zero thread locker on its threads), which might have allowed slop in the chain, allowing for it to break, but I also found, what looks like one of the hex flange screws that secures the cam sprockets to the cam, cut in half with both haves laying at the bottom of the case just behind the crank starter gear. I have not pulled the valve cover off yet to check if one of the screws is in fact missing or not , because to me this seems like it was an error made in manufacturing for this to happen, whether they forgot to add thread locker or didn't torque down the bolts to specs. Either way I wouldn't think this should have happened and feel that Polaris is responsible for this.
Other damage that was done is one of the teeth on the crankshaft that the cam chain rides on, has broken off and some damage to the case. Plus there are bits of the broken chain, that I'm finding around but who knows what may have gone through out the who engine when it splintered. Im pretty sure the engine needs to be completely rebuilt, or even replaced. But I don't have any experience with these engines to know for sure.
Please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has had any luck with Polaris taking responsibility for something like this and doing the right thing, and the best way to approach them on this. Also let me know if more info is needed, I would be happy to answer your questions to help figure this one out.
Here are some pics:

This shows the bolt on the fixed cam guide that I found loose

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim

This shows the broken tooth on crank shaft
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Gas

This shows the damage to the case
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs Automotive design Vehicle brake

This is the broken flange screw found at the bottom just behind the crank starter gear
Body jewelry Wood Finger Jewellery Nail

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,017 Posts
Don't disassemble any further. Call you dealer and ask to bring it in. You'll have to pay for diagnostic. Then have them open a case with Polaris. They replaced my 18G2 transmission with an updated 19 transmission and axles out of warranty. Hopefully you have a good dealer. First thing my service guy said was don't even drain the fluid. Bring it straight to us. Polaris wants the techs to do all the tear down and discovery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't disassemble any further. Call you dealer and ask to bring it in. You'll have to pay for diagnostic. Then have them open a case with Polaris. They replaced my 18G2 transmission with an updated 19 transmission and axles out of warranty. Hopefully you have a good dealer. First thing my service guy said was don't even drain the fluid. Bring it straight to us. Polaris wants the techs to do all the tear down and discovery.
Thanks for the info. and I figured they did and is why I haven't opened it up any further.
Im not sure about if the dealer closest to me are good or not since Ive never been to any before.
I bought it used if you can even call it that. it only had 400 miles on it when I bought it. I think the closest is over an hour and a half away, But I will figure out which one will work for me and bring it by there. Thanks again
Scott

Update: I sent an email to the dealer in Flagstaff too see if they can help me move forward and put a claim in with Polaris. So now I wait to hear back from them. I will share the process as I go through it to the end, here on the forum, incase anyone else has this problem come up in the future.
Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScottyMac off topic but is that the Salty Cracker avatar you use ? Love his channel on youtube.
Yep Been part of the salty army since the beginning. I even made up stickers to slap on gas pumps where eve I go that have his website printed on them. hoping to reach more people. I use PureBloodSaltyFuk as my name on rumble

·
Registered
2020 XP4
94 Posts
Good find and great post.

Hope corporate helps you out, this sounds like a rare occurrence but agree the break time bell must have rang at the wrong time at the engine factory :). Bad time of year to be doing heavy wrenching the leaves are finally back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good find and great post.

Hope corporate helps you out, this sounds like a rare occurrence but agree the break time bell must have rang at the wrong time at the engine factory :). Bad time of year to be doing heavy wrenching the leaves are finally back!
Yes I believe this is a rare case. I have not found anything posted anywhere with even a mention of a cam chain breaking or any bolts coming loose inside the engine. The fact that at least two loosened up on mine is a bit strange to have happen in my opinion. I say at least, because, there may be more I don't know about yet under the valve cover, since I did not go any further once I saw what I did. I just took pics and videos for my records and put the broken pieces of chain and the piece of broken tooth and the bolt that was cut in half all back where they were and put the stator/flywheel cover back on. this way Polaris will see exactly what I saw when I first pulled the cover. What ever the reason they came loose, I believe was caused by the factory not doing something right the day they built that motor. I just hope they see it the same way and do the right thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone had the cam chain break?
It looks like the bolt that secures the fixed cam chain guide, had loosened and backed off (zero thread locker on its threads), which might have allowed slop in the chain, allowing for it to break, but I also found, what looks like one of the hex flange screws that secures the cam sprockets to the cam, cut in half with both haves laying at the bottom of the case just behind the crank starter gear. I have not pulled the valve cover off yet to check if one of the screws is in fact missing or not , because to me this seems like it was an error made in manufacturing for this to happen, whether they forgot to add thread locker or didn't torque down the bolts to specs. Either way I wouldn't think this should have happened and feel that Polaris is responsible for this.
Other damage that was done is one of the teeth on the crankshaft that the cam chain rides on, has broken off and some damage to the case. Plus there are bits of the broken chain, that I'm finding around but who knows what may have gone through out the who engine when it splintered. Im pretty sure the engine needs to be completely rebuilt, or even replaced. But I don't have any experience with these engines to know for sure.
Please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has had any luck with Polaris taking responsibility for something like this and doing the right thing, and the best way to approach them on this. Also let me know if more info is needed, I would be happy to answer your questions to help figure this one out.
Here are some pics:

This shows the bolt on the fixed cam guide that I found loose

View attachment 77253

This shows the broken tooth on crank shaft
View attachment 77254

This shows the damage to the case
View attachment 77255

This is the broken flange screw found at the bottom just behind the crank starter gear
View attachment 77256

**** Update:

I decided to open an inquiry with Polaris Owner Connections and here is the reply I received:
" The best thing to do would be to bring your unit to your nearest authorized Polaris dealer and have them start an “Ask Polaris” case on this. They will work with our Polaris technicians to review your case for goodwill warranty coverage."
I took the General to the Dealer in Kingman AZ and gave them the inquiry number and they said Polaris will request a maintenance log for work I had done to the General. Since I did all work myself, the best I could do is send them copies of Amazon invoices for the supplies I purchased, and filled out a copy of the log form in the back of the owners manual. Seems that it was good enough to show them it was kept up. The dealer just notified me that Polaris will cover the costs of the engine and any parts needed to install it but won't cover the labor costs. The dealer is quoting me for 10 hours to install the engine at a total cost of $1060. Which is way better than having to buy a whole new engine, but I told the dealer I can do the install myself and save me over $1k. So I am waiting to hear back on how it plays out from here. When I dropped the side by side off, I made a point to tell the service guy, that I only will agree to have them do the work if Polaris is covering the total cost, otherwise I can do the work myself. I did also as, if I am going to be expected to have to pay the dealer for the time it took to tear down the motor to trouble shoot the problem or is Polaris going to cover it. Im waiting for an answer but hopefully Polaris continues to do the right thing and covers the dealers time spent trouble shooting it.
I will update once I know more. But for now , everyone should feel good knowing Polaris will accept responsibility for problems manufacturing caused. Even if the damage shows up once out of warranty. My General xp has around 4500 miles on it too. Im impressed with Polaris now big time.
Hopefully this info helps someone else if they have something similar happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to pay diagnostic and labor to have my transmission replaced. All said and done I was $600 into it. It was with it to me, because I didn't have the time or a place to do the work. Glad Polaris is stepping up for you. Keep us updated on the final outcome.
The Dealer is telling me the following now, "Unfortunately Polaris will only cover repairs if an authorized dealership performs the repairs"
I Questioned this, telling them either Polaris is taking responsibility and covering the cost of the motor or they aren't but since they already said they are, then trying to make me pay dealer prices to install the motor , when I am perfectly capable of doing myself and save myself over $1000, just doesn't sit right with me. So I'm calling bullshit on this and emailed the guy at Polaris Owner Connections and am waiting to hear back from him if if what the dealer told me is true or not. I told the girl at the dealer that I am in contact with the guy at Polaris and am forwarding the emails to him and her next email said the following:
"
I am going to get in contact with Polaris first thing in the morning when their office opens to find out if we can do that for you"
Hmmm,I have a sneaky suspicion that she will reply with something similar to the following, i'm thinking she is going to let me know that she "went to bat for me" and now i'm allowed to do it myself.
I could be totally wrong about this all, but will post the outcome here once I get an answer

·
Registered
2020 XP4
94 Posts
If I was corporate Polaris and I was going to try to protect my white collar from shame I would probably ensure this problem goes to bed by not trusting anyone to do the work except someone you have certified. You have me convinced you are more than capable of doing this but for all they know (you see where i'm going).

If you pay them the $1060-$1200 and say thank you you get a fresh motor out of the deal!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have to agree with Makensmoke on this ….if Polaris provided you with a new crate engine and you installed it if I were Polaris I would have to say, OK we agree to that but you get 0 warranty….would something happen probably not but if it did then you will be out more than 1K they want for labor…..Either way good luck to you….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts