Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first rig after 40 years of motorcycles. Love it. One concern. I’m getting a rattle in rear when slowing to a stop or crawl. Nothing on acceleration just decelerating at lower speed. Goes away upon stop and idle. Sounds almost like a heat shied rattling. Pretty loud. Checked everything visible and all seems tight. I live 100 miles from dealer and sure hate to haul this in for what I suspect is minor. Ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first rig after 40 years of motorcycles. Love it. One concern. I’m getting a rattle in rear when slowing to a stop or crawl. Nothing on acceleration just decelerating at lower speed. Goes away upon stop and idle. Sounds almost like a heat shied rattling. Pretty loud. Checked everything visible and all seems tight. I live 100 miles from dealer and sure hate to haul this in for what I suspect is minor. Ideas? ########## yes the brake pads have square holes for the pad pins but the pins are round and are loose They make a rattling sound just like you are having and the dealers know about it. but that's the way they built it I took the pads off filled or welded them up and drilled round holes and problems solved.When welding keep the pads cool as you can I used a very wet rag and it was just fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes the brake pads have square holes for the pad pins but the pins are round and are loose They make a rattling sound just like you are having and the dealers know about it. but that's the way they built it I took the pads off filled or welded them up and drilled round holes and problems solved.When welding keep the pads cool as you can I used a very wet rag and it was just fine

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the CVT belt slapping against the bottom of the outer cover nearest the primary clutch. Mine did some thing like what you have addressed that is what I found.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for feedback. How did the belt get tightened.? It sounds metallic but it could be a hat you are describing Roadrunner.
It continues to do it while decelerating without any brake pressure. Could that still be the brake pad issue?

·
Registered
500 Posts
That is exactly what mine sounded like always when slowing to a full stop. As you let off the throttle the belt relaxes to a loose position. It is the nature of this type of clutch set up. Thus the belt slap!

Easy to pull the belt cover and check it on bottom outer cover nearest the Primary clutch. I sanded mine down a bit and it reduced the sound some, but I still was getting belt slap. I didn't bother with Polaris and bought the Duraclutch and ended the issue plus I now have a better clutch. :) The Duraclutch Belt is always under tension so you don't get belt relaxing like you do with the OEM clutch set up.

I think it is too early for brake pad rattle, but I won't rule it out. I have 1700 miles on mine I don't hear what I would call brake pad rattle. After you get a bunch of miles the brakes some time they will rattle. There is an adjustment you can do if that rattle is the case. I have a service manual i can send you a picture and info how to make that adjustment if you need it.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I'll have to dig my info up, but there is a fix for brake pad rattle. It consists of placing a Hillman spring between the pads on the pins the brake pad holes go over. It spreads the pads at the pin and holds them against the rotor. Keeping both clean and smooth...and quiet. For my RZR 800 put them on all four corners. On the General, only the two rear are necessary. Since I put them on the General, quiet. I'll find my pics and post them tomorrow.

Pirate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for this great insight. Sounds like I may need both remedies sooner or later.. is the Duraclutch a different clutch assembly? I’m not excited about throwing $1,500 or so into a repair on a rig that had maybe 5 hours on it when brand new 3 weeks ago. Is there an adjustment that will at least improve it?

I’m pretty amazed that this is not a major flaw showing up on reviews regarding these. Did I just not see it? Did a ton of online research.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roadrunner was exactly right. Even though my brand new 2020 General XP Deluxe had less than 20 hours on it I took his advice and researched a problem with the belt. I purchased a Hunterworks belt , got it in 2 days, watched about 5 YouTube’s and installed it by myself and I’m no mechanic. Holding my breath I drove it and it is perfect. The Hunter belt improved it start up characteristics and totally eliminated the slap. Seeing the difference I’d say to anyone buying a 2020 General to jus t spend another 130 bucks for the Hunter belt. Just incredible. Thank you so much Roadrunner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts