Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was Saints John trail, near Keystone. Alpine Loop is on my list though -
I'm planning on making similar videos of other Colorado trails - follow my channel if you want to see :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
What do you use for taking the videos? I've spent a fortune in GoPro cameras and accessories, the Avenza Maps and BackCountry Navigator on a Samsung TabA 8" tablet.

Curious and a few questions more than likely.

Pirate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a Gopro 7 and a drone. Getting the drone to behave is always fun - it likes to fly away sometimes :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Pic of your drone, make and model etc. The home place is 94 acres and I would really like to have a drone with a GoPro mounted and get some nice videos from the bluff were the house sits.

Thanks,
Pirate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a Skydio2 - amazing drone when it works like its supposed to. I also have a Phantom 4 Pro that's my survey work drone. The Skydio is my backup work drone :)
Are you in Colorado?
20200731_160721 (1).jpg

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Survey work drone? How's that work?

Yup, three miles North of Canon City on what becomes the Shelf Road, the old wagon road to the mines around Cripple Creek and Victor, CO.

thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Oh, gads, now you've gone and done it...gonna have to have one. The autonomous flight looks interesting and the Controller, so wife, er BOSS, as something to tinker with. She's finally learning Avenza maps and enjoying that.

A question, do you have a couple batteries you carry along? Can you charge batteries in the General? Say USB charger?

I'll do more digging tomorrow. TBI impairments, of them, makes vision in my one eye get fuzzy at the end of the day.

At least it's only about $1500, I've spent a lot more on the General!!

Thanks,
Pirate

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
SJE,
Check out the Skydio.com website.

The Skydio 2 has "anonymous" flight. Its got 360 degree "collision avoidance" to allow autonomous flight without smashing into things.

Check the site and watch the videos.

Next accessory me thinks!!

Pirate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, gads, now you've gone and done it...gonna have to have one. The autonomous flight looks interesting and the Controller, so wife, er BOSS, as something to tinker with. She's finally learning Avenza maps and enjoying that.
A question, do you have a couple batteries you carry along? Can you charge batteries in the General? Say USB charger?
I'll do more digging tomorrow. TBI impairments, of them, makes vision in my one eye get fuzzy at the end of the day.
At least it's only about $1500, I've spent a lot more on the General!!

Thanks,
Pirate
Haha - its a cool drone for sure. I've had some flyaway scares but its always come back. I have 3 batteries - they charge slow. I do have a fast USB charger but haven't tried it yet in the General.
I do a lot of survey, mapping, & engineering using drone aerials so that's how I got into the industry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice video, who's flying the drone if your driving the General?
Controlling the drone is largely automated so I can do both. It uses visual motion tracking and GPS to follow, and has multiple sensors to avoid obstacles. Its new technology so there are some hiccups...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
chad...here we go...questions...

In autonomous flight...how does the Skydio 2 figure out how to follow you? By connecting to the hand held beacon?

Is it possible to save, like a waypoint, and tell the Skydio 2 to land there before the battery crashes?

What accuracy can you get in surveying with the Skydio 2?

Ever tried the Controller?

Thanks very much,

Pirate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey pirate I replied but "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors. "

·
Registered
333 Posts
I take in my General a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Great drone, very reliable and takes great pictures. I also have the DJI Smart Controller. Works via Blue Tooth no cords or mobile phone to fool with.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just pick up a Mavic Mini and am starting to get the hang of it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chad...here we go...questions...
In autonomous flight...how does the Skydio 2 figure out how to follow you? By connecting to the hand held beacon?
Is it possible to save, like a waypoint, and tell the Skydio 2 to land there before the battery crashes?
What accuracy can you get in surveying with the Skydio 2?
Ever tried the Controller?
Thanks very much,
Pirate
I've been working with Skydio to troubleshoot some issues. Generally, if you use the phone app it follows visually and over wifi. If you use the beacon it follows with GPS, if you use both it can follow with both. But there's a lot more to it than this.
The phone app allows waypoint control, but idk about battery. I haven't had that come up yet.
With the right equipment, for surveying you can get cm level horz accuracy, and 3 cm vert acc. The Skydio won't do quite that good. I used it to map a 3 ac parcel and it probably was 1 ft horz accuracy - which can be more than good enough for some applications.
I do have the controller but only used it a few times. Its really not needed with this drone (unless you're doing surveying/mapping)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts