Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this unit a couple of days ago, previously owned by Polaris as a demo vehicle. I’m assuming Polaris put a limiter on their units for safety. How do you remove it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine tops out supposedly at 72 mph, though 65 is the fastest I’ve tried. That was fast enough for me. Gilomen ECU can remove limiter altogether.

Wonder why yours is limiting at 45? That’s not standard.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Are you limited to 45 in high gear or is that low.? If it is high gear, and your rpms are high then this is more than likely the spider nut. I would pull the clutch cover off and look into the primary and see if the spider nut has come loose. This is a common thing and will limit your speed. It has happened to me. . Here are a couple of pictures showing the spider nut. If your rpms are normal and high can't go over 45, then there may very well be some sort of governor put on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Did you call the person or place where you bought it and ask them what is up with it?
Seems like that would be the best place to start.
If it was a private party sale then i too would guess spider nut.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i would ask if the seat belt was latched. friend of mine has a 2011 rzr800s (that does not have the seat belt override). he recently purchased a 2018 900s that had a bad clutch. installed the clutch and called me asking why it wouldn't go above xxmph. it didn't dawn on my until the next day that he didn't buckle the seat belt. since his other model didn't have it, he was unaware the newer ones did.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Most will only go 25 mph if the seat belt isn't fasten unless you have that fixed with a plug or Gilomen tune.

Reactions: tmo1620

·
Registered
319 Posts
My used General came that way. I would have added it if it hadn’t.

It’s worth reiterating I always buckle up when riding with only two exceptions: if I’m just slow speed riding around property or if I’m driving on lake ice (for obvious safety reasons).

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Yes one doesn't want to go down with the ship!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you limited to 45 in high gear or is that low.? If it is high gear, and your rpms are high then this is more than likely the spider nut. I would pull the clutch cover off and look into the primary and see if the spider nut has come loose. This is a common thing and will limit your speed. It has happened to me. . Here are a couple of pictures showing the spider nut. If your rpms are normal and high can't go over 45, then there may very well be some sort of governor put on it.

So I called the dealership and let them know what was going on and had me bring it in right away. They diagnosed the primary, secondary, and everything associated, plus throwing in a new belt. I’m not sure maybe if it just started with the spider but or not or if something else was broken as well. Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
So I called the dealership and let them know what was going on and had me bring it in right away. They diagnosed the primary, secondary, and everything associated, plus throwing in a new belt. I’m not sure maybe if it just started with the spider but or not or if something else was broken as well. Thank you for the help!
Please give us an update once you know what the culprit was!

Reactions: Johnny 7
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.