Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked it up 16hours on it now check engine just came on and check EPS on both speedos not working I check the codes engine light flashes Check EPS goes off codes read
2-84-1 and 2-84-2 Any help would be great the Polaris dealer is booked out 2weeks!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Greetings from El Paso! I'm not in possession of a shop manual but I'm sure that someone that is will chime in before long. Did you try to search those codes on the internet? Sometimes that can produce something. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 General G2 Ride Comand
174 Posts
Welcome to the site, yes the Generals are fun. Greetings from Cathlamet Washington. Can’t help you with the code but you might call the Polaris Dealer in St Helens Oregon as they might be able to help you sooner.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
OK, the 1 and the 2 at the end are that the code has come in once and then twice.
Both codes are because the Vehicle Speed Sensor is not sending a signal to the ECU---the General's brain. Mounted in the covered opening behind the Driver's seat.
The Service Manual has very little on the Speed Sensor, so here's what I could find.

You're looking at the Passenger side of the Transimission. Almost at the back is item P, that's the Speed Sensor. It has one fastener that connects to the Transmission Case, make sure the fastener is there and tight. NOW...its sealed by an O-ring mounted on the Sensor...to the correct torque on fastener is just a bit over finger tight...DO NOT get carried away tightening it.

The Speed Sensor has a three wire electrical connector. Above is the wiring connector for the Speed Sensor. You can see the connector and the Speed Sensor to give you an idea
of what each looks like!

I'' take bets that the wiring connector is unplugged or not fully inserted into the Speed Sensor. Either of these loses the signal and then you have no speedometer.
The ECU, the brain, uses various inputs for controlling then operation of the machine.

The check engine light for "Check EPS" comes on when you crank the wheel over too hard while applying a lot of power. I've seen it when going up a short, steep incline with an immediate tight turn at the top. So you give it the gas to get up the incline as you get close to the top you start cranking the wheel over hard and the Power Steering drops out and the Check Engine Light comes on telling you to check the power steering. Really no problem. Once you get familiar with your General, you'll know why it came on and what you were doing and it goes out pretty quickly

So here's some information. Let us know what you find!! Oh, and when you post...please tell us what year and what model General you have. Helps a lot!!
Pirate

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
One thing to add about the EPS, if you turn the key on but don’t start it, the ECU will shut off your EPS (Electronic Power Steering) after about five minutes. If you do not cycle the key off and on you will not have EPS and the dash warning light will be on.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Opps! One more thing
The Speed Sensor sends signals to the ECU to tell the ECU how much voltage to give to the EPS.
Example: at slow speed the ECU sends full power to the EPS. As you increase your speed the ECU decreases the power to your EPS. When you are going like 40mph or more you probably don’t have any power steering. Why? You don’t need it at higher speeds.
Pirate is on the right track in regards to troubleshooting, the possible culprits are the connection to the Speed Sensor, a pinched or grounded wire or a bad Speed Sensor.

Well that’s my two pesos worth
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Baja Charlie, where did you find this tidbit of knowledge?
Pirate
and for your information...got up at 8AM and its 73 outside. Poured all last evening and got just a bit over 1/2" of rain. Walked the dogs, checked out the creek. Up to the house and its 83 degrees. Humid like back East and 80% chance for more rain...not complaining one bit! But can't get out and do some "first rides" since getting the General back together...but hot!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Here you go (see pictures)
Awwww Colorado
Back in 80 my cousins in Woodland Park and my brother and I bought a bar “The Ute Pass Bunkhouse Inn”
During the remodeling I discovered a common Colorado saying about weather “Just wait five minutes and it will change” it’s true, snow in the morning and heatwave in the afternoon. Beautiful country!!!!

Cheers Baja Charlie
Text Font Document Paper
Text Pattern Design Line Pattern
Text Design Line Material property Font
Text Document Font Paper Paper product

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Baja Charlie...so what made you move so far Southwest?

one little thing...the OP didn't tell us whether the EPS was working or not. My experiences with that Check Engine Light and Check EPS is with you when your turning the wheel all the way over in very rough terrain...and the EPS quits working. As soon as you turn the wheel back some, the EPS starts working again.
Guessing, but I think I've read that doing what I did creates an over-current situation. I've never searched but is there a circuit breaker the EPS system. Gonna have to look, but probably not today.
Looks like rain coming...and now 88...that's a perfect case for hail..Noooo....
Pirate

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagrams and the troubleshooting charts I totally concur with you on the over current idea throwing codes and the warning light. After muscling my old Rhino around doing chores the General’s EPS is mucho bueno (when it works)
Born and raised in San Diego, the cousins lived in Colorado, hence my Colorado experience. Currently I live about one hundred and fourteen miles from where I was born.
Baja is not for everyone, but for me and my wife we love it. Today it’s 78 with a nice ocean breeze and our quarantine bubble friends are coming over for hamburgers and hot dogs and a few games of cornhole

Cheers Baja Charlie
Property Sky Landscape Real estate House
Property Home Patio Real estate Building

1 - 12 of 12 Posts