Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
As an owner of the a new XP and experienced in a ‘17 deluxe, I don’t think you’ll ever be disappointed in the XP. Could you upgrade most of the stuff on the ‘19? Yes but you can’t upgrade to the one piece frame, you’ll spent most of that 6k difference doing it and have a lot of time in it. If ride command is not a complete deal breaker you can get the XP in the $21,500 range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a XP 2 seater. Matte blue. Out the door was $20500. I have 10 miles on it so far. I have a 2019 G4 matte white with the fox shocks, 3” lift and 30” tires. Other than the clutching, I fixed it up like the XP. So far the XP is a totally different machine than the 2019. I’m sure it is a combination of it being a XP and a 2 seater. I know the Walker Evans shocks feel way better than the fox shocks. The other major difference I feel is the powersteering. It feels much lighter. Does anyone know if it is different than the standard models? So since I have both I could honestly say if you can swing the XP I would. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
2019 Black Pearl Ride Command. Wife wanted the Deluxe Blue but when she seen the Pearl Black the negotiation began.

Reactions: johnone

·
Registered
3 Posts
What Truckey said X2. I’m not aware of any growing pains except for some people getting belt slap issues. 450 Miles on mine and zero issues. The belt does bounce a little below 3 mph on decel, but it hasn’t even left a rub mark on the cover. It’s a non problem. The cost of the Walker Evans shocks alone would pay for the XP upgrade. The A-Arms are unique to the XP and won’t fit a non XP. The mounting lugs are beefed up on the frame, and the frame is a one piece vs two piece frame. The A-arms have different shock mounting points being a wider A-Arm which lays the shocks at a flatter angle especially in the rear. The tires are $225 a piece on 15” rims. The clutches are RZR XP1000 units. Gearing is lower. Ride height is quite a bit higher.
Yes, you can buy a Deluxe, dump some money into it and come up with a nice unit. It still won’t be an XP.
Schmeg,
I have the general XP4 and am having the belt slap issue pretty bad. I have an 1/8” groove wore in the top of my cover with just 350 miles on it. Have they come up with a fix for this or have you heard what the cause is?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I only have a 150-some miles on my XP, I started to notice the belt slap on deceleration probably around 120 miles.
Last night I put on a Hunterworks belt and 'white washer' and went for a 10 mile 'break in' ride. I noticed, ZERO belt slap... It may very well return once I have some miles on the new belt, or maybe not... I don't know, time will tell- Just thought I'd chime in on it.

I bought rollers for the secondary too, just don't have them in yet. Hopefully the quicker backshifting will help too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow. That’s a lot of belt deflection. What happens is the belt is slightly long, the secondary clutch is slow to back shift, and the plastic case is too small all causing the issue. A new belt will help for a while, a Hunterworks belt will help a lot because it’s slightly shorter, hardened secondary rollers will help too. A fully recalibrated secondary to allow for more solid backshifts is needed. The belt gets real loose when the primary downshifts on deceleration but the secondary is slow, causing slop in the belt. It’s a crappy secondary to begin with. I haven’t heard of a Polaris fix yet. I hear the folks going to full Gilomen clutch kits are doing well as well as people going to the Duraclutch. I installed hardened rollers and the white washer on a stock belt and get very minimal slap.

·
Registered
792 Posts
This is a list that I've composed of the XP upgrades
Long Travel Suspension
14" of travel 64" width
Walker Evans Velocity Shocks
High clearance ARMS 1" forward/rear
2" longer wheel base
Larger Brakes
High Output EPS
30x10x15 tires & wheels
1 piece HD frame
XL fender flairs
NON EBS clutching
Clutches from Rzr XP 1000
Heavier duty steering linkage
A gear reduction

Polaris has not published exactly what kind of a gear reducing was done, but I can tell you this. The part number to the front diff doesn't match anything else and I PMd Erik at Super ATV looking ahead at getting an aluminum Sprague cage for a different upgrade and it looks like the XP Diff has a lower gear ratio. So they did something different here. Hope this helps with your decision. I love my XP and glad I went with it, it's a beast

·
Registered
792 Posts
I only have a 150-some miles on my XP, I started to notice the belt slap on deceleration probably around 120 miles.
Last night I put on a Hunterworks belt and 'white washer' and went for a 10 mile 'break in' ride. I noticed, ZERO belt slap... It may very well return once I have some miles on the new belt, or maybe not... I don't know, time will tell- Just thought I'd chime in on it.

I bought rollers for the secondary too, just don't have them in yet. Hopefully the quicker backshifting will help too.
I put the hunterworks belt and white washer in at 88 miles along with the round rollers and had seen some marks on the cover from belt slap. That mark has not changed since, I'm not sure which one of those three thing helped but one of them did.

Reactions: nomore67

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just bought a XP 2 seater. Matte blue. Out the door was $20500. I have 10 miles on it so far. I have a 2019 G4 matte white with the fox shocks, 3” lift and 30” tires. Other than the clutching, I fixed it up like the XP. So far the XP is a totally different machine than the 2019. I’m sure it is a combination of it being a XP and a 2 seater. I know the Walker Evans shocks feel way better than the fox shocks. The other major difference I feel is the powersteering. It feels much lighter. Does anyone know if it is different than the standard models? So since I have both I could honestly say if you can swing the XP I would. Just my 2 cents. View attachment 66267 View attachment 66268 View attachment 66269 View attachment 66270
Polaris says right on the Spec sheet, High Output EPS. They only say that for the XP, all they say for the regular General is standard for power steering. I have nothing to compare it to, But I guess you've notice it! Hope this helps

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Dealer tells me they all have that belt slap after a few hours on them. I suspect there is sufficient belt stretching that causes this over time. The secondary clutch is not the best! Dealer says Polaris has no answer for the problem. I got tired of it and put a Duraclutch on . That took care of it plus much better clutch engagement. Engine braking on the Generation 2 Duraclutch is not as aggressive is the first generation. Love that clutch!

·
Registered
900 Posts
My two pesos worth
The beauty of these machines is they are a hybrid, pretty good for work and pretty good for trails. Depending on what you’re going to be doing with your rig should help you make the right choice for you in addition you need to assess if you are willing to do some work on your rig.
So again base your decision on what you do.
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
792 Posts
An update on the front Diff in the XP, The part number crosses with the front Diff on the Ranger High Lifter edition, a purpose built mud machine.

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Polaris is finally listening to some of what needs to be done to make a super great machine for us General owners. Worse part it is costing more money all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope they introduce a General XP 4 Turbo tomorrow. If so I am sure it would also have a geared reverse transmission.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts