Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time SxS buyer looking at purchasing a 2-seater General.

I've located a new 2019 General 1000 Deluxe EPS w/Ride Command listed for $18,799, 6-month factory warranty.

I'm comparing to the 2020 1000 XP w/Ride Command listed for $24,999

The major difference that I see is the lift and wheels--12" ground clearance vs. 13.5" ground clearance. I saw someone else mention lower gearing in the 2020?

I'm looking for general trail and backroad usage, light work/utility, etc. No technical trails or extreme adventures in my plans.

What would you do?

THANKS in advance!!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I think there is more differences than what you listed. I think the frame and other suspension items are more heavy duty i will call it.
Ones that own the XP's will chime in i hope.
Personally if funds aren't a problem i would hands down go the new XP and not look back and no questions asked. But that is me and hope you get the one you want/need and all is well.

Reactions: johnone

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Forgot to add welcome to the Forum!

Reactions: johnone

·
Registered
486 Posts
The XP is having quite a few growing pains. For the price you pay for the XP you could buy the Deluxe and install the A arms and tires, upgrade your clutch and buy Shock Therapy duel rate springs. You would have a much better machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses.

Johnny, I forgot to list the suspension differences. That is another upgrade

I am definitely leaning toward the 2019 because as a first-time owner, I just don't think that I'll be able to detect any performance difference based on my expected use. I only anticipate abusing this machine slightly more than my wife's 'pavement-kept' SUV. ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Other than the crappy sound system, I don't know what growing pains the XP is experiencing. I see mostly positive feedback about it. The XP has a one piece frame, beefier arched a-arms, larger brakes, larger wheels with 30" tires, extended fender flares, different clutch, I never heard confirmation about lower gearing, and I'm sure I missed some stuff.

I was put off by the ride command. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra on it. I bought my 18 Limited Edition in August of 18, after the new models were released, that got me an $800 rebate. The dealer had already installed the ProBox Rocks roof. That took care of front light bar, roof, stereo, rear light, and dome light. Front and rear glass lock and ride windows, Sedona 4+3 beadlocks, 28" Ripsaw (junk) tires. Also installed before purchase Polaris tree kickers and front bumper extension. My out the door price was $1500 less than a ride command. I couldn't get the Fox shocks on the Limited Edition, so I sprung (no pun) for the Shock Therapy RC2s. Best money spent. I've since went to 30" tires, Polaris kindly upgraded my transmission to a 19 with axles, plus countless other little things, harnesses, seat pass through, wiper, washer, horn etc. I still want to do the high clearance arms and upgrade the axles and probably a Gilloman ECU tune. I guess I'm just saying, If they had the XP model then, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Off the dealer lot.
6000000004.jpg

Now a days
IMG_20200712_133035793_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I haven't heard anything negative about the XP yet. I believe the XP frame is a one piece frame so way better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only had my XP for about 3 weeks now, it's my 3rd Polaris SxS (a midsized Ranger, then a Hunter XP) , my 4th SxS in total. I'm happy with it, hands down the best I've had in all regards. Sure, I can nitpick some little things (I'm kinda picky though), but over all it's pretty awesome. Not saying which direction you should go, but I passed on a decked out 2019 the dealer had in favor of the XP.

Good luck with your decision! 🍻

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can’t speak of the Deluxe model but we’ve had our XP 4 Ride Command since April and love it. Most of the advice you will hear to not get the XP will come from people who don’t own one. If you are someone who wants to do all of the work yourself, you can get close to the same by adding a bunch of stuff on for just a little less overall money than the XP. If you want to turn the key and go then get the XP Ride Commamd and don’t look back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can’t speak of the Deluxe model but we’ve had our XP 4 Ride Command since April and love it. Most of the advice you will hear to not get the XP will come from people who don’t own one. If you are someone who wants to do all of the work yourself, you can get close to the same by adding a bunch of stuff on for just a little less overall money than the XP. If you want to turn the key and go then get the XP Ride Commamd and don’t look back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What Truckey said X2. I’m not aware of any growing pains except for some people getting belt slap issues. 450 Miles on mine and zero issues. The belt does bounce a little below 3 mph on decel, but it hasn’t even left a rub mark on the cover. It’s a non problem. The cost of the Walker Evans shocks alone would pay for the XP upgrade. The A-Arms are unique to the XP and won’t fit a non XP. The mounting lugs are beefed up on the frame, and the frame is a one piece vs two piece frame. The A-arms have different shock mounting points being a wider A-Arm which lays the shocks at a flatter angle especially in the rear. The tires are $225 a piece on 15” rims. The clutches are RZR XP1000 units. Gearing is lower. Ride height is quite a bit higher.
Yes, you can buy a Deluxe, dump some money into it and come up with a nice unit. It still won’t be an XP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but I was in your shoes last month. My wife and I originally looked at the General Sport, then looked at the upgrades that we would get with a deluxe (fox shocks, roof, radio, 14” wheels). I priced and looked at a 2020 General Deluxe from Abernathy’s for $17, 694 but they didn’t have an XP. Another dealer closer to me had a XP 1000 ride command that he priced me for $23,599 so I went and looked at the XP as well. I definitely liked the arched a arms and I like the strength of the 1 piece frame. I‘m not sure on the brakes, as someone else said they were bigger on the XP, but sitting next to a General Sport they looked very similar if not the same. I know that the XP uses the RZR XP 1000 clutches and belts but the tow capacity is exactly the same as the Deluxe, so I figure they went to that clutching for the larger tires and wheels. My intended use was as a utility vehicle on my 40 acre farm, and some trail riding. In the end, I couldn’t justify the $6000 difference in the 2 machines and bought the Deluxe from Abernathy’s. There were things that I liked about the XP, but they were things that in the end I didn’t feel I would benefit from for my use. I haven’t regretted it for one second so far, as I was able to get a machine that fit my needs, for what I thought was a reasonable price. In the end you’ve got to decide what the best value for the money is for you. There wasn’t anything about the XP that I didn’t like, I just felt the price difference wasn’t worth it for me, but to each his own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great feedback! Either choice looks good, but it does sound like there are some significant upgrades in the XP. I was not aware of the one-piece frame, so I went back and took a second look at the specs. Overall, I agree the XP looks like the better machine, but $6k talks--loudly. Looks like the upgrades come to about 170 lbs. added weight.

I'm going to go check out both models, hopefully side-by-side--no pun intended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, can someone help me decode the various paint variations? I've never seen the paint scheme on buelligan's 2018 Limited--very cool! When I look at the Polaris website, I see two color options for the 2019 Deluxe--Orange Rust and Titanium Metallic, but the 2019 Deluxe that my local dealer has available is Black Pearl?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, well said... There really isn't a bad choice, it all depends on what your wants and expectations are... 👍
I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but I was in your shoes last month. My wife and I originally looked at the General Sport, then looked at the upgrades that we would get with a deluxe (fox shocks, roof, radio, 14” wheels). I priced and looked at a 2020 General Deluxe from Abernathy’s for $17, 694 but they didn’t have an XP. Another dealer closer to me had a XP 1000 ride command that he priced me for $23,599 so I went and looked at the XP as well. I definitely liked the arched a arms and I like the strength of the 1 piece frame. I‘m not sure on the brakes, as someone else said they were bigger on the XP, but sitting next to a General Sport they looked very similar if not the same. I know that the XP uses the RZR XP 1000 clutches and belts but the tow capacity is exactly the same as the Deluxe, so I figure they went to that clutching for the larger tires and wheels. My intended use was as a utility vehicle on my 40 acre farm, and some trail riding. In the end, I couldn’t justify the $6000 difference in the 2 machines and bought the Deluxe from Abernathy’s. There were things that I liked about the XP, but they were things that in the end I didn’t feel I would benefit from for my use. I haven’t regretted it for one second so far, as I was able to get a machine that fit my needs, for what I thought was a reasonable price. In the end you’ve got to decide what the best value for the money is for you. There wasn’t anything about the XP that I didn’t like, I just felt the price difference wasn’t worth it for me, but to each his own.
MHarvey, you're reading my mind! I know that I'm going to be happy with either choice, but my goal is to make an educated decision in the end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2020 color options - Matte Navy Blue and Stealth Gray? Are there other 'special editions' not shown on the Polaris website?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that the only 2 XP options are the matte blue and stealth gray. On the deluxe, I bought the sunset red metallic, but black pearl with blue was the other color option for 2020. Here’s the 2019 Deluxe Ride Command page:
Looks like the ride command deluxe was possibly only available in black pearl in 2019
From what I’ve seen after looking into it, Buelligan’s military edition was only available in 2018. I really liked those when they came out, but was still on ATV’s at the time and not ready for a General yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts