Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2017 General Deluxe at the end of July. After 2 short rides nothing to serious at all it went into limp mode.
After getting it home and washing it i noticed that the fuel tank had sucked itself almost completely in half! I took the cap off and it sucked a ton of air in and popped back out some. I took it to my dealer and told them what was going on. After them having it for 3 weeks i call and they tell me that they can't figure out what is going on that they have to do whats called ask polaris were they work with the engineers to try and find a fix. At the 6 week mark and still not hearing anything I call the manager and explain to him i understand you can't figure out whats causing the problem but i just paid over 20 grand for this bike and rode it twice and its been in the shop for 6 weeks. I just want to know whats going on.... well apparently they put a second fuel tank in and it did the same thing. well they then put a 3rd tank in and it supposedly fixed it. Said it was the ball valves in the tank vent.... That doesn't make much sense being as the tank was sucking in and not blowing up. I assumed it was a problem with the ECM or fuel regulation system not returning fuel back to the tank. Now i get it home and ride it 1 weekend and the turf solenoid is going crazy clicking. It will disengage and engage several times per minute just sitting there not in turf mode. I understand this works by receiving 12 volts to unlock the diff then backing down voltage to hold it unlocked. To me it sounds like there is a short and this thing is receiving voltage when it shouldn't? Also the bike started over heating... I paid a guy to wash the radiator as I was at an off road event and it did the same thing with a clean radiator... to me it seems like this thing is running lean or has ECM problems or something but I am no expert. Does anyone else have these issues or any info or advice on this stuff? I love this machine but am getting very frustrated with all of these problems that keep popping up everytime I try to ride..... I want to do away with the turf mode until I can bullet proof the trans. Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry for your frustration

I purchased my 2017 General Deluxe at the end of July. After 2 short rides nothing to serious at all it went into limp mode.
After getting it home and washing it i noticed that the fuel tank had sucked itself almost completely in half! I took the cap off and it sucked a ton of air in and popped back out some. I took it to my dealer and told them what was going on. After them having it for 3 weeks i call and they tell me that they can't figure out what is going on that they have to do whats called ask polaris were they work with the engineers to try and find a fix. At the 6 week mark and still not hearing anything I call the manager and explain to him i understand you can't figure out whats causing the problem but i just paid over 20 grand for this bike and rode it twice and its been in the shop for 6 weeks. I just want to know whats going on.... well apparently they put a second fuel tank in and it did the same thing. well they then put a 3rd tank in and it supposedly fixed it. Said it was the ball valves in the tank vent.... That doesn't make much sense being as the tank was sucking in and not blowing up. I assumed it was a problem with the ECM or fuel regulation system not returning fuel back to the tank. Now i get it home and ride it 1 weekend and the turf solenoid is going crazy clicking. It will disengage and engage several times per minute just sitting there not in turf mode. I understand this works by receiving 12 volts to unlock the diff then backing down voltage to hold it unlocked. To me it sounds like there is a short and this thing is receiving voltage when it shouldn't? Also the bike started over heating... I paid a guy to wash the radiator as I was at an off road event and it did the same thing with a clean radiator... to me it seems like this thing is running lean or has ECM problems or something but I am no expert. Does anyone else have these issues or any info or advice on this stuff? I love this machine but am getting very frustrated with all of these problems that keep popping up everytime I try to ride..... I want to do away with the turf mode until I can bullet proof the trans. Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance!!!

I believe a Dura Clutch does away with the turf mode. Also S 3 Power sport does some stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
First of all welcome, MIDNIGHTRIDER. These are all issues I have not seen on this site before. I have seen a guy or two get replacement machines when experiencing major problems. I think this would classify as major. If I were you, I'd push for a whole new machine.

X2 what he said there is such thing as a lemon law and boy I think you have got a real lemon!!

by the way WELCOME to the site! and good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 general delux had the solenoid for the turf mode crap the bed. The dealer changed it out and never had an issues since. I had a 2016 was having overheating issues put a manual switch.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealership damaged a wiring harness while working on the tank. Is your fan running when it gets hot? It could also be a lean or rich effect overheating the engine. With the turf mode acting up I am guessing wiring issue somewhere. Bet there is a ground loose or cut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I don't really want to go through the hassle of trying to get a new machine but it might be my next move. I plan on going over the machine from end to end this weekend and trying to figure it out myself. My dealer is over 2 hours away and is very large and super busy. I refuse to be without my bike for another 6 weeks. Its that time of year where everyone is ready to ride. I really want to find a way to just get rid of the turf mode all together. With it clicking in and out like it is I am going to end up breaking a trans/diff and that scares me.
I plan on bullet proofing it and doing the reverse chain and shaft swap but until then I want to figure out a way to remove the solenoid and plug the diff and water proof the wiring. If I am not mistaken this is the same trans/diff as the 900xp ranger with an added parking gear cam. That also bothers me because a buddy of mine just exploded the trans/diff on his ranger 2 weekends ago trying to back out of this tiny little mud hole. Its at the same dealer right now for warranty on it. They say they will put the highlifter trans/diff in for him but that it will not be covered under warranty the next time.... Like i said I am going to go over the bike from end to end this weekend and I will let yall know what I find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would get on the dealers Facebook and tag Polaris.... sounds crazy I know. I know for a fact that most companies have people working their Facebook to keep neg PR from taking over. I had an issue with solar company didn't get anywhere with calling customer service posted on FB with in 20 mins they called and all my issues were addressed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will exhaust all avenues before I put them on blast. I will not name the dealership on here or anywhere else publicly until I feel they deserve it or have refused to take care of the problems. I do not feel like it is the dealers fault. So far they have been very helpful except for keeping my bike for 6 weeks which I hate but is understandable being as they were in talks with polaris engineers trying to sort the problem out (So I was told). I will give them a chance to make things right. Thanks for the advise though but i hope it does not come to that....

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Well, I would very much agree that issues with the fuel tank vent caused the fuel pump to suck the tank in. The vent is very important, and has to be kept clear. Now, I'm not sure why there is a "ball valve" in the fuel tank vent. But it might be a "rollover" vent valve like this one on Amazon:

I don't have 2017 Service Manual, but looking on polarispartsdealer.com It doesn't show a ball valve on the Body, fuel tank page. And it doesn't show anything on the Engine, throttle body and valve cover page.

It doesn't seem to be labeled correctly, but Item 8 on teh Body, fuel tank page looks like the vent line, and it just runs up high and turns back down to keep stuff out of it. So I suspect there is no "roll over" valve. And the dealer just didn't look at it. The KISS principle would be in order. Keep It Simple Stupid. you could add a rollover valve to the end of the vent line for safety's sake.

I would go hand-over-hand through the wiring harness to the turf mode solenoid. I'd also hook a volt meter to it and see what happens when the key is off, when the key is on, and when the motor starts. That should give you some excellent troubleshooting data...and be sure to share it with us.

Since you've cleaned the radiator an the machine still gets hot...I'd bet money there is air in the coolant system. So raise the front of the machine and set the front tires on blocks about 8" tall. With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap. Give the machine a good shaking from the passenger side...so you can see the coolant in the radiator cap opening. While shaking it...see any bubbles coming up? Either way, top off the coolant, give it a good shaking and walk away for an hour. Keep repeating the shake and top off steps until the level no longer drops and no bubbles appear. Liable to take 6-8 hours to get all the air out. When you're done, top off the coolant, replace the radiator cap, top off the coolant overflow bottle.

Now go ride, temps better? I'll bet they are. When you get back home, check the overflow bottle level...typically I have to top off the overflow bottle 2 or 3 times...as there is probably still a bit of air in the system.
But after 2 or 3 top offs. It stays where I filled it to.

Just a few thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pirate, I did just that with the cooling system last Friday. Well not exactly that way but very similar. I did not have time last week to trace the wiring or any voltage testing with the turf mode. Friday when I was bleeding the cooling system and test riding around my land the solenoid was no longer clicking and it wouldn't over heat so I went to the trails. I rode most of the day and into the evening with no problems what so ever. I was very happy with the way the machine operated. However after starting to ride more aggressive towards time to leave we take a "cold beverage break" and stop and just before cutting the machines off wouldn't you know I can hear the solenoid going crazy! I plan on trying to trace the wiring as soon as I have enough free time and also try to figure out a way to stop any voltage from getting to the solenoid by removing the fuse or something (not sure if the 4x4 works off same fuse or not but will figure it out) as well as trying to remove the solenoid all together and plug the mounting hole in the diff. for now as I absolutely hate turf mode on the polaris machines anyway. As far as the tank goes the way they explained it to me is that there is a small ball valve in the white cap where the vent line comes out that was not operating properly. It is all one assembly built into the fuel tank which is why they replaced the tank. I don't know as I have not gutted a tank just going by what the dealer said. We have rollover valves on the dirt late models that operate the same way and if those malfunction or stick it will not draw enough fuel so I can see that being what was going on. Bike ran great Saturday just that turf mode problem!!! I will keep everyone updated with what I find out in the near future. Thanks for everyones input and advise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts