Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
In the fall of 2019 we rode Moab, UT. (very dusty) While out there the general developed a shrill whine, (appears to be coming from the transmission area) I rode it all of last year with the whine gradually getting worse. I cleaned both clutches and installed a new belt. Still whining.
Any ideas on what could be the cause? The camera doesn't do it any justice on how shrill it gets.
2017 G2 All stock clutch and trans
The whine starts at about 4500 rpm and peaks at around 5500/6000 then dies off.
Same thing whether it is in high or low.
Doesn't do it in neutral or in reverse.
Most noticeable in light acceleration
Also noticed there is quite a bit of slop in the CV axle.
More recently I noticed occasional clatter during engine braking, followed by free-wheeling
Any help is appreciated

Here is a video of the whine >

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Next to the last sentence says "Primary Clutch One-Way Bearing" is going out.

I've had experience during which the engine dies at every stop as the bearing begins to freeze up during failure.

One check is to take the belt off and see if the bearing turns in both directions, it shouldn't. And if it feels rough.

A troubleshooting step.

Pirate

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Dang it Pirate you beat me to it! Sure sounds like the one way bearing is going bye bye
I replaced my primary with a RZR clutch that has a two bearing and it works great ( it cost a few pesos). The main performance difference is at slow speed the two way will release sooner and you go into free spool which means more braking. I was used to this from my RZR 1000 days.
All’s good down here in Baja, wifey and me got our shots so we’re doing fine.
Hope all is well with you and yours ( how’s the new motor home zoooooommmmmm)

Amishkid, sounds like it’s time to change the one way bearing out. Do you have the tools and skills to remove it?
Please let us know the outcome and thanks for the great post
Cheers Baja Charlie

PS Pirate I’m going into to town today for tacos and beer, I’ll hoist a cold one for you Amigo

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Baja Charlie,
Have a cold one for us! Supposed to be 88 degrees here!. Been in the 60's and low 70's. But in the Carriage House where the "coach" is kept...dark, shady and I've been wearing a sweatshirt to work on the beast!!

Almost done. One outlet and two USB charging ports to add on either side of the king size bed. New enclosed trailer has been converted to a Mobile Garage.

Leave for Moab next Friday. Surely hoping everything goes well!!

Looks like a good vendor show at the ROTR...SLP will be there, interested in clutch tools for the General.

Pirate

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Definitely agree on the one way bearing going bad.
Let us know how it is after you change it out.

Reactions: Amishkid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I will check the bearing first. I will be tearing into it this week. Probably going to open up the transmission and see if I can figure out what is causing the whine. I will post my findings. Anybody know who would be a person to contact in regards to transmission internals?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Give a PM to Toxic and this Forum.

Reactions: Amishkid

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
There are lots of things to check before you go tearing into the transmission! And if you do decide to open the transmission. This will be the time to upgrade to a dual row Reverse chain. Take out the Turf Mode differential and put in a spool. And if you like, do the 12% gear reduction.

It's a lot to tear open the trans, and I sorta doubt you'll find the cause of the whine without going through and taking clearance and gear mesh readings...and that is a lot of work to be done by someone very familiar with the Polaris trans.

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are lots of things to check before you go tearing into the transmission! And if you do decide to open the transmission. This will be the time to upgrade to a dual row Reverse chain. Take out the Turf Mode differential and put in a spool. And if you like, do the 12% gear reduction.

It's a lot to tear open the trans, and I sorta doubt you'll find the cause of the whine without going through and taking clearance and gear mesh readings...and that is a lot of work to be done by someone very familiar with the Polaris trans.

Just sayin'

Pirate
Do you have any suggestions on what all to check before I tear into the transmission? Would love to find a solution outside the trans but haven’t been successful. And yes I was thinking I would do some upgrades while I’m in there. I’ve rebuild engines before but never a transmission so this is new for me. To me it sounds like a gear whine. When I changed the fluids after Moab the trans fluid was dark gray. Is it a possibility that the fluid broke down and cause the gears to wear abnormally? Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do you have any suggestions on what all to check before I tear into the transmission? Would love to find a solution outside the trans but haven’t been successful. And yes I was thinking I would do some upgrades while I’m in there. I’ve rebuild engines before but never a transmission so this is new for me. To me it sounds like a gear whine. When I changed the fluids after Moab the trans fluid was dark gray. Is it a possibility that the fluid broke down and cause the gears to wear abnormally? Appreciate the input.
Shoot me a message when you get ready for some upgrades.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Before you tear into things...I'd for sure pull the clutches and inspect them. Could be a Primary Clutch moving part. Weights, sheaves, etc.
Could be the belt has a bad spot. Glazed, burnt, scuffed...
I would get a very clean drain pan and from a paint store a paint filter (a paper funnel with screen at the tip). Then drain the Trans fluid into the clean plan, then pour the lube through the
paint filter into another container. Clean if you're going to reuse it, milk jug if you aren't. Do you find anything in the bottom of the clean pan? Metal more than a few tiny slivers?
Anything in the paint filter?

These can provide some leads on what should come next.

Pirate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoot me a message when you get ready for some upgrades.
I tried to send you a pm but I’m new to the forum and I’m not sure if it went through or if I even did it right. Can you and me a message? I do want to upgrade the reverse chain for sure and possibly the Turf Mode. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before you tear into things...I'd for sure pull the clutches and inspect them. Could be a Primary Clutch moving part. Weights, sheaves, etc.
Could be the belt has a bad spot. Glazed, burnt, scuffed...
I would get a very clean drain pan and from a paint store a paint filter (a paper funnel with screen at the tip). Then drain the Trans fluid into the clean plan, then pour the lube through the
paint filter into another container. Clean if you're going to reuse it, milk jug if you aren't. Do you find anything in the bottom of the clean pan? Metal more than a few tiny slivers?
Anything in the paint filter?

These can provide some leads on what should come next.

Pirate
My first thought was that it is a clutch issue. I pulled both clutches. Took them apart, cleaned them, scuffed the sheaves, installed a brand new belt and still the same whine. I also changed the trans fluid which was a dark gray. (See pic) I didn’t filter it but didn’t find any shavings in the oil drain pan. There was a bunch of gunk on the oil drain plug, although very fine. I put new trans fluid in, same thing.
It only does it going forward under load in both low and high gear. (Although worse in low gear) No whine in reverse. I jacked the tires off the ground and ran it through full rpm range in both low and high. No whine.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
So perhaps a CV Joint whine. Two on each axle. Inspect the CV Joint boots for any damage or leaking lubricant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So perhaps a CV Joint whine. Two on each axle. Inspect the CV Joint boots for any damage or leaking lubricant.
Good idea. I'll check those out. How much slop are the supposed to have going into the trans? They have quite a bit (see last 10 seconds of video clip in initial post.) I didn't see any tears in the boots but I'll inspect closer. Also, i tried to pull one and could not get it out. Does the trans have bearings and seals where the cv axle connects that could be going bad? Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts