Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first general (used) with 1100 miles. Seems to be making a clunk or slap noise when you first accelerate ie. backing out of garage or starting out from a complete stop. u joints have a little play on prop shaft but this sound seems to come from the right rear. possibly Clutch??? I hope not! i did check all fluid levels and checked out belt, a little worn on the sides but nothing worth replacing yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does the secondary still have square pucks? Mine was like that from new till I replaced the square pucks with Todd @ Hunterworks's round pucks. It's a lot smoother. Now I've moved on to the Duraclutch. I have a factory clutch with 300 miles on it sitting in my garage with round pucks in the secondary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe it does have the square pucks but I am not really familiar with the whole system yet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
With that many miles, your secondary may be worn enough to need replacement. Especially if the previous owner didn't maintain the belt case is; blowing the clutches out on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would you recommend? A new secondary with the round pucks? A Duraclutch? i want something that is going to last and be smoother than what it is now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would recommend inspecting it. Take some pictures. Talk to Todd at Hunterworks and show him what you're dealing with. He's good to work with. If the secondary isn't in bad shape, the round rollers may be all you need. Maybe a new belt too. I personally upgraded to the Duraclutch, because I use it around my property as well as trail riding. The Duraclutch has constant belt engagement and allows me to keep speed down when pulling my mower. It's very smooth engaging. No jerky starts. Great in tight technical trails and rock crawling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im headed out to change the oil, I will inspect it and get some pictures Eventually i will end up going with the duraclutch, it sounds like that will be the better option in the future as i have a pull behind mower and its use will primarily be property use and moderate trail riding. I just dont want to swing $1500 right now. any chance you would sell your secondary with the rollers already in? (if mine ends up being worn)

·
Registered
684 Posts
They are proud of the Duraclutch but I also feel they are a worthwhile upgrade. Its definitely on my list. The secondary roller upgrade makes a big difference. Once you've inspected your secondary, you'll know which way to go. 1100 miles doesn't seem like enough to completely trash it, hopefully you'll be able to clean it up and put the rollers in and get by till your ready. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts