Polaris General Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 1000
4 Posts
Guy's
I've been riding my General for the past two weekend without an engine light coming on. I have about 57 acres with trails threw them with some pretty steep hills so I've been taking regular trips around the property trying to get the machine hot and duplicate the same scenario as West Virginia but nothing has happened. I'm not just cruising around it's full on flat footing it. Two wheel drive, four wheel drive up hills down hills you name it I'm doing it. Riding creeks, rocks, logs and flat out racing it in the straightaways. I can't get it to throw a light but I have no confidence in it. I turned down a trip to WVA because I feel it will let me down. I've done nothing else to the General to fix the light other than what I mentioned above, that did not correct the issue. I did speak to the guy who installed the program he thinks it could be fuel pressure or coil, he said try checking fuel pressure first.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I didn't look back at the previous pages....but the Misfire Detection issue is like that. There is no rhyme or reason why it shows up and ruins your ride.
I got the "Steering Column Fastener" recall...that was a joke. But it got my machine into the dealer, who reprogrammed my ECU. That was part of the recall. It was done in September of 2017.

Not a single problem until January when we went to the Apache Junction area of Arizona. So from 5600 ft elevation to maybe 80 ft elevation. First ride in Arizona, miles from camp. boom Limp Mode, Check Engine light on. Struggled with the issue for three weeks. Ordered a Gilomen Innovations ECU. It was waiting for me when we go home. Plugged it in...not a problem since.

Was it the elevation? Was it belt slip? Was it a cylinder misfiring? Was it an Alien Vortex?
I have no idea. Terry Gilomen's ECU program desensitized the Misfire Detection portion of the program.

Its much like the RZR 800 and the rear differential committing suicide. I worked with Pullerguy to come up with a solutions and the tools to implement the solution. Pullerguy suspects it's caused by a harmonic that vibrates the pinion shaft. I believe it has to do with trying to use that large a Nylok nut and expecting to get an accurate torque on it.
But the real reason? No one knows for sure. But the solution we came up with works. Not a failure after doing what Pullerguy calls the "Tight Nut Dance".

So, I really recommend you send your ECU to Gilomen Innovations and have at least the Misfire Detection program changed. I truly believe that will end your problem.

Pirate

41 - 42 of 42 Posts