Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Had not heard about Assassins having the fix. Good to know.

I would be very interested to know if it occurs again for him.

Pirate

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,007 Posts
Had not heard about Assassins having the fix. Good to know.

I would be very interested to know if it occurs again for him.

Pirate

This gentleman has the AA tune with misfire detection removed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not only can Aftermarket Assassins desensitize missfire detection they can completely delete it all together and thats what i had them do.. i can undo a spark plug wire and my injector will stay firing and not detect a missfire.. some people will say thats stupid and dangerous but im a mechanic by trade for 16 years now. i can tell when an engine is misfiring and with only 2 cylinders its not hard to figure out witch one it is and just unplug that injector and limp it to camp or back home

·
Registered
2016 Polaris General Deluxe EPS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not only can Aftermarket Assassins desensitize missfire detection they can completely delete it all together and thats what i had them do.. i can undo a spark plug wire and my injector will stay firing and not detect a missfire.. some people will say thats stupid and dangerous but im a mechanic by trade for 16 years now. i can tell when an engine is misfiring and with only 2 cylinders its not hard to figure out witch one it is and just unplug that injector and limp it to camp or back home
Yes it looks like virtually all of them have the desensitizing of the miss-fire included in their programming. I was leaning towards the Dynapro one as it is locally sold and supported and only about $425 CAD vs the others. I am only interested in something that I can do myself.. to have the programmer and not only load the wealth of tunes that are available for download but as a programmer myself, I want to be able to tweak the programming. Also, it gives you all kinds of monitoring and data logging of how the machine is performing. It gives you the same flexibility that my friends with ECM tuners for their pickups have. Some days you are towing your 44' trailer and others you just want the best mileage you can get. You just load the program for the task at hand. That being said, I now know that my machine is misfiring, it's not a false fault at all.

After going for a rip today to try and get it to act up again it took a little while since it was a lot cooler outside. When I returned home I sat in the General and revved it up a bit.While inside the shop I could hear and see on the tach that it was missing. So the Polaris ECU programming is doing its job. Now to find out what the issue is.. plugs I think

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Here's what you get with the Gilomen Innovations full tune. Which is $400 according to their website. Lots of other goodies:

Just sumpthin' to consider.

Pirate

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 1000 Deluxe
332 Posts
On Gilomen's website looks like there is an option to purchase a pre-programmed ECM for $750, then after you receive it you send yours to them for a $350 credit. Looks like the net is same cost of $400 with no down time. Something else to consider...unless I'm reading it wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just my own not paid opinion to balance out the Gilomen hype:

I have used Dynojet Powervision programmer for my Polaris General 2018.
It allows me to change all the paramateres and they provide ready-to-use tune free for all basic configurations.
There is an easy to reach diagnostic port under the hood where it connects. It backups your original and uploads the new tune of your choosing. Very easy to use.
I calibrated my speedo to new bigger tires, changed max rpm to my liking (I wanted little bit lower) etc.

I started also having misfire limp mode problems after installing Duraclutch. I contacted Dynojet and and they provided me a new free tune with misfire code problem solved.

You get all the same benefits as Gilomen but with added flexibility. You can also upload the original tune back if needed or have several tunes for different purposes.
If you want to get technical, you can buy their wideband o2 sensor and tune your engine to perfection. I haven't felt the need for that.

I don't see how Gilomen can compete here. Maybe if it provides much more HP since I haven't compared them directly, but I doubt that.
Feels like free commercial for them but I have been happy with my choice. Each to their own :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just my own not paid opinion to balance out the Gilomen hype:

I have used Dynojet Powervision programmer for my Polaris General 2018.
It allows me to change all the paramateres and they provide ready-to-use tune free for all basic configurations.
There is an easy to reach diagnostic port under the hood where it connects. It backups your original and uploads the new tune of your choosing. Very easy to use.
I calibrated my speedo to new bigger tires, changed max rpm to my liking (I wanted little bit lower) etc.

I started also having misfire limp mode problems after installing Duraclutch. I contacted Dynojet and and they provided me a new free tune with misfire code problem solved.

You get all the same benefits as Gilomen but with added flexibility. You can also upload the original tune back if needed or have several tunes for different purposes.
If you want to get technical, you can buy their wideband o2 sensor and tune your engine to perfection. I haven't felt the need for that.

I don't see how Gilomen can compete here. Maybe if it provides much more HP since I haven't compared them directly, but I doubt that.
Feels like free commercial for them but I have been happy with my choice. Each to their own :)
I 100% agree with you that handhelds are the way to go. Out of convenience mostly the power to change tunes in a matter of minutes for different riding applications. Plus if one wants the powervision can be dash mounted for extra gauges. To me a handheld was the perfect way to go and after weeks of research i landed on the powervision with a Aftermarket Assassins custom tune

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
GenFin, 2020GeneralPremium,

You know... I started with ignition springs and weights on a 68 Dodge Coronet. Then to a 1980 K-10 I put a 454 in. Timing, carbs, carb jets. Then 6 Harleys with carb jets, ignition systems, clutching, big bore, stroked, 6 speed tranny, you name it, I spent money on it. Got them all running great...but so much work and having to learn, often the hard way. Oh, and then RZR 800 with the Holz Stage III kit installed, a Crank Works pinned and welded stroker crank. I think it might have been 5% OEM when I sold it to get the General.

And today a 67+5days...I really like the Gilomen Innovations ECU. Plugged it in. Did the set-up per the instructions. And it works. Went with the DuraClutch set-up, same thing. It just works. No playing with springs, and weights, and bearings and all that. It just flat works.

For some, the tuner and being able to dial things in to the Nth degree is the only way. I think I've, well, lost interest in all the time it takes.

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 1000
4 Posts
Long story short. Riding in WV and engine light came on, code 65590. Searched it belt or misfire so I went with belt. Had it changed but the belt removed looked like new. I spoke to Ziggy and he said get a tune so I went to Black Dog got a Evolution Powersport tune. 10 min in to the ride the next day, never rode the machine the day I got all this done and the engine light came on and this time the machine started skipping, spitting, lunging and almost shut down. I got it back to Black Dog had him redo the tune ran great for 3hrs and the same thing happened. I could not get on the gas had to very easy push down or it would show engine light. It did it 3 more times but the ride was over so I put it on the trailer. Got it home Sunday and flat out tortured it. All I could get out of it not one time did the light come on. About :30 min of riding, gas to the floor looks like somebody has plowed my yard, nothing. I'm losing confidence in the General anyone ran across this?
Little G

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
What year machine would help too.
Need info to help solve problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry guys left out some important details. 2018 General Limited no up grades other than top, rock sliders, cab heater, full doors and windshield and larger tires. I was told to upgrade my air filter once I received the tune so I ordered it today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told it eliminated 65590 & 65591 code both belt slip and misfire. I can't argue with anyone on this but I was told by the person who installed the program that it would not stop other codes from coming up. I guess I can email the guy who installed the program and find out first hand.
I guess what's making me scratch my head is after the install the General started skipping once the engine light came on but until then it ran like a dream no issues. Once you clear the engine light it runs like a dream no skip, no sputter smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2016 Polaris General Deluxe EPS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Gents,

Well after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and having to spend some money I finally have this sorted out. After having gone through all of the Polaris recommended checks I still could no find the root cause of my check engine light and the "limp mode"

After putting in new plugs and verifying that the coil, wires, CPS, injectors etc. etc. were good I was ready to give up. I did not have the ability to check the fuel pump pressure.

I was on the verge of buying the Gillomen, AA or Dynojet solution. But they all say the same thing. Polaris did not set up the misfire sensing for fun. It is there to project the engine. While they will all give you the reduced misfire sensing, they do not recommend doing it. Polaris sold thousands of the 2016 Generals and if there was an issue with their ECU programming there would be **** to pay. I know from experience that the Polaris organization is top drawer when it comes to looking after their customers. I do not believe they would not sort this out is it was their problem.

So I took it into the local dealer. It took them a little while to go through the recommended checks but once they got past that and looked a little deeper, it was swapping my aftermarket belt for a Polaris belt that made the issue go away. So about $300 for the Polaris belt and another $300 plus in labour and it's all good.

And in reality the $300 was not a total waste because they were able to tell me that my primary clutch is on it's way out.

So the only feature in the alternate tunes that I have any desire for is the lower temperature cycling. The machine cooling cycles at about 205 to 195. I want it to cycle about 10-15 degrees lower but I can do that with a $25 thermostat wired in parallel to the cooling circuit.

All our trails are still closed due to the extreme fire danger and because of the fires we have already had. So I have the machine back but there may not be any riding for several weeks yet until we get some relief with rain..

So I would recommend getting to the bottom of your check engine situation before you choose to mask it with an ECU flash Band-aid solution.

G

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Nah, the problem is real. It's caused by the ECU, not the belt. How many times have I written that? The Gilomen ECU program "desensitizes" the cylinder misfire sensing. Doesn't do away with it. Just doesn't do as fast. Yes, the intent is to keep the injectors from pumping fuel into a misfiring cylinder and having all that raw fuel being pumped into the exhaust system and potentially causing a fire.

Again, that I know of, no one really understands what causes the Misfire Detection to shut an injector off so quickly. Before I got my Gilomen ECU, in Arizona, in February 2018. My 2016 General Deluxe would go into Limp Mode, Check Engine Light on as often as every quarter mile...for several miles. I worked with DuraClutch on the thoughts of belt slip causing instantaneous loss of synchronization between ECU and Crank Position Sensor. So they sent me another Primary clutch, another set of weights, three more belts...and nothing helped. Got back home to Colorado, did a couple of short rides...didn't do it. But heard of Gilomen Innovations. Called Terry. Bought new ECU with the full program.

I've had my OEM ECU reprogrammed by Gilomen Innovations. So I have a spare.
I sent the original DuraClutch back to the factory for inspection and repair...and then bought it as a spare.
Got a couple of spare belts. One in the General and one in the Mobile Garage.

Take a look at the Gilomen Innovations website. You can see all the added things the GI full program gives you. My machine runs just awesome! The tuning is right on the money.

The GI program will lower your operating temperature about 10 degrees.

Or you can want more cooling...so do as I did. Buy a SuperATV HD Radiator. 35% more cooling surface. But I had to design their base bracket. Had to modify the Radiator holding brackets at the top. Then you can mover to Engine Ice coolant. Add the Grizzztech radiator shields. Add the UTV Inc. fan override kit. (I flip the fan on as soon as we leave camp and the coolant temp gets to 160 degrees. My typical operating temp is somewhere between 178 and 184 degrees F. But there are times, depending on terrain where it runs in the mid-190's. There are long steep grades that will see temp up to 207 F. But with the fan override on, top the grade and the temp drops into the 180's quickly.

Just my experiences,

Pirate

21 - 40 of 42 Posts