Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my General Deluxe back in July and love it! Can't wait to see all the cool stuff and learn about any common issues anyone is having on here. I already put over 500 miles on mine and 60 hours, and haven't had anything go wrong but worn out tires :wink2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we'll have answers to most of your General problems here, or at least someone will.

What have you done to your General so far?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we'll have answers to most of your General problems here, or at least someone will.

What have you done to your General so far?
So far I have replaced my stock tires and wheels with STI HD5 and I have also put on Tensor Regulator tires. I put on LED lights on the roll cage and I built an aluminum light bar bracket for the front. I love this machine, but feel that the tires might've been a big mistake due to me losing handling while going into turns. This is my first time in a forum so I am not sure if I am using it correctly, but so far that would be my only complaint.

·
Super Moderator
3,175 Posts
zach, I've been thinking of going with those tires. What exactly has been effected with the handling. Does the back end want to come around, or does it not turn as good?

Also, what size are the tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
28X10X14 is the size I went with mounted on the STI HD5 Beadlock Wheel. I thought that for my ranch they would be perfect we have a 170 acres in the hill country with hard and soft packed roads, creek beds, and a huge hill on our property. The problems I am having is on the front end. I am going into a turn without any confidence with these tires. They are pushing me in a straight line while the ass end is coming around. So I am having to brake instead of letting the machine do the work like I could with the dirt commanders. I made the switch from the dirt commanders because my rear tires were pretty worn and I read that the front tires were kicking rocks and cracking radiators. So what I have done so far to try to combat this was filling up my tires to 28 PSI all the way around. The ass end wouldn't stop turning at that PSI and the front felt like it was going to vibrate off. So I lowered it to 15 PSI and it definitely handled better, but I still lost that confidence in the machine in turns at slow or high speeds. I am now running at 12 in front and 18 in rear and I haven't been able to drive it enough to tell you what I think yet. I like the height it gave my vehicle, but that means absolutely nothing to me if I can't have the same kind of fun I was having before. I tried asking someone yesterday who I noticed had my same set-up what they thought about their tires so far, but haven't heard anything back. I hope this helps in your decision and please feel free to ask anything else that you can think of.

·
Super Moderator
3,175 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have the base model, and they come with what is essentially tractor tires, with big V tread. They hook up pretty good, but it will understeer in certain situations. I've attributed that to the rears being wider, and the locked rear, so I'm hoping running the same size all around would loosen up the rear a little. I'd much rather deal with the back coming around, than not being able to turn.

I also do more hard pack trails, and a little rock crawling, than anything else. I usually avoid mud if I can.

28-10-14 is the size I plan to get as well. Got to get some new wheels to though. The spending never ends. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
welcome to the site and general ownership! :grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts