Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my machine last week. I took the machine out for a couple of different rides. The first ride was a mixture of gravel roads, and Bush trails that were tight and had some winding spots. There were also sections that were very bumpy and rough. This was only a 20 mile ride.
The second ride was on gavel roads, a bit of pavement and then lots of mud.

Speed:
Top speed on general speedo read 71 mph gps said 68mph. :frown2:
RZR 900 79 mph speedo and GPS are bang on,
0 to 60 general as per gps high 7s
RZR 0 to 60 low 8s
Sold my RZR so I couldn't line them up

Ride quality:
The general is softer and more plush over the bumpy stuff but not as much as I would have thought. It was still a nice improvement..the wife has a bad back and didn't care for the RZR, she likes the General.

Handling.
On the gravel roads in my area there is a section that has 2 90 dgree turns. With the RZR, I can drive into the turns at 30 to 35 mph and at the apex of the corner , I can hit the throttle in drift my way out of the turn. There is no body roll whatsoever.
With the general I fully expected to lose the ability to drift them corners. Well I was surprised that I was able to pull the same moves with the general:surprise::grin2:. This thing just loves to drift and slide around them turns as well as through any bush trail. There is a bit of body roll but it seems to only roll a bit then it stops. I think this is because of the anti-sway bars. They do their job well.
I also found this machine to be very capable through the tight and twisty trails. This thing is just as much fun as the RZR. We came to a couple of spots that were very tight and the turning radius was the same as the RZR.

Slow speed driving.
I was very surprised when I climbed in and out of a couple of steep ditches. The bottom end torque on this machine is very impressive.
There were couple of times when you could only travel 3 to 4 mph down the embankment of a ditch and when you had to crawl up the other side you did not have to give it anymore throttle to get up the other side. It was like the machine had a bull low gear. I was smiling. Good job Polaris.

Mud running
We went on an ATV ride that had several mud holes.I manage to get stuck Twice and had to get pulled out. :frown2:This was mostly because I was the one to break trail. The mud holes were long, but the bottoms were hard. The machine that pulled me out was a purpose built mud runner.
There are also a few holes that many people got stuck,but with the general, we Made it through OK. If the general had a good set on zilla tires, we would have been ok.

Seating position
RZR you Crawl down into it like a sports car and the general you sit in it like a truck. I'm 6'2 and I found that I had more leg room in the RZR.

Other notes:

The seats are a lot easier to clean. Polaris claims them to be quick drying and there are right. As soon as u wash them and give m a quick wipe down, there are ready to sit on. Unlike the RZR they don't get waterlogged or remain wet. I hated that about my RZR.

The LED lights on the RZR were brighter and shine a bit farther that the GENERAL. But I do have a nice 10 inch rigid Light bar to fix that.

The doors on the geNeral can be annoying as they are hard to open at times.

All in all, I am very happy with the General.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree also with the ease of drifting. But I felt in the beginning mine was more sliding than anything. I checked the tire air pressure that the dealer had them at. They were all at 20 psi! I aired them down to 8-9 psi and that made a huge difference. Not only in the trail comfort, but also in traction, drifting control, gravel and rocks, etc. I also bought the blue one. I prefered the orange, but they didn't have one. It was going to have to be ordered. So the dealer threw in everything that the blue one didn't have that the orange one did for less money. Except for the fox shocks which so far have been no issue or concern of mine.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That was a very good write up Boom. I also have the blue. I came to my cabin where we keep the beasti was here for 6 days. It is a 2 1/2 hr round trip to the gas station the trails are 80% sand. I kept in in 2 wheel and practiced sliding the beast we rode 325 miles this week. My buddy came over today and he drove it he has a ranger 900 xp he thought I was crazy for buying this 1/2 hrs into his ride he was jealous

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome write-up. I am quite surprised though that you found the RZR had more leg room. I purposely put off buying a machine for 2 years because I found the RZR's didn't have enough leg room. Then the general came along and I found it to be exactly what I was hoping for... I'm 6'4"

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Very nice write-up THANKS!!>:) lots of great info cant wait to get mine!:grin2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great write up, thanks a lot. The doors are pretty easy to adjust, I was having trouble with mine too, but once I adjusted them they work great. Just google it and give it a shot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for taking the time for the write up. Very informative. I love my General 2. Perfect for my wife and I.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Very nice write up! I have a 2018 General 4 and have experienced a lot of what you have reported on your General. The stability, the ride, cabin room and comfort, power are among my favorite things to say about the General. my Black Oak 40 " curved dual row spot and flood Led Light bar" takes care of the factory Oem Lights that seems like candles when I turn it on :) After 2000 trouble free miles on mine I really have come to love the General 4.

·
Registered
2019 General G2 Ride Comand
174 Posts
Nice review. I am picking up my Titanium today. Can't wait
I too bought the Titanium this week and taking delivery next week as I’m waiting for the rear window. Also looking towards seeing if the Ride Command is worthy of the upgrade. Will be reviewing the option to remove the front sway bar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts