My new TOY - Polaris General 1000 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

My new TOY

I just stared doing some serious trail riding with all my buddy's who have 4 seat RZR's The Ranger I had was not up to the task. I was able to hang with them on the seriously rough stuff only because I have lots of experience 4 wheeling and desert racing a dirt bike. When I got home I told the wife I needed to get something more trail capable but also to use for hunting and utility. We decided to trade the Ranger in on a new General base model so we could add the stuff we wanted to it. As soon as I got home my wife said that thing looks like a little red wagon. I said do you mean like the Radio Flyer wagon. She said that's it this thing is going to be called the Radio Flyer. Now I have to find a decal so I can put that on it.

Here are some of the upgrades I have done already and should be getting all of the parts I ordered on Friday.

First mod was to try a different sets of wheels for the stock tires (which are not bad). I scored a set of 12" wheels off a 900 RZR for $75 and they look pretty good. I was then able to pick up two sets of 29" Maxxis Bighorns on RZR 14" wheels for $200. When I took the stock tires to the dealer to switch the rims the service guy asked me if I wanted a set of brand new take off 28x10x14 STI Chicane RX dot tires for $100 "Heck yeah I do" So I mounted the Chicane tires on the 7" RZR rims and installed them on the General.

I drove it around a bit and am not sure if I like they way the Chicane's ride. I may just go back to the 29" Bighorns instead. The stock tires I will either sell or keep for spares.

I will mostly be doing trail riding in the desert here in Southern Arizona and some serious rock crawling on rough jeep trails. Some riding up in the mountains also. Which of the tires that I have would be the best choice for this type of riding.

The rest of the stuff I ordered should be here on Friday.

I got a set of A arm CV boot skid plates. I set of rock slider floorboard skid plates. Grizztech guards, An EMP windshield and back window, an EMP aluminum top. I also got a winch mount plate for my Superwinch tera 45, side mirrors and a rear view mirror. I am still looking for a nice front bumper. I will Probably get the one from Super atv. A lift kit is in the future but I can't do that until I get a bigger Toy Hauler. The general just fits with the taller tires.

I have gotten several good ideas on storage solutions from this forum already and will be doing some of the mods I have seen.

I will be going on my first real trail ride this Saturday.

What do you guys think and what else should I add or do.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	25033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	25041  
generaljls, MMX, felicemss and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Welcome EdgeXXL.
Now its "Let the games begin" with all the accessory buying.
I have all kinds of stuff for our Ride Command but don't know when it is going to be built yet!
You might want to get the seat belt override, spring brake thingy, side mirrors just to name a few things.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny 7

God, Family, Green Bay Packers
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to list that stuff. I have side mirrors and the seat belt override. Whats the spring brake thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM
MMX
Super Moderator

Welcome EdgeXXL! The spring brake thingy is a park brake mod, and goes by that name, runs about $50.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 PM

Welcome to the forum EdgeXXL
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Garage
Welcome to the General Forum EdgeXXL
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Got a bunch of stuff done and did a few test rides around the neighborhood. I have come to the conclusion I don't really like the STI Chicane tires very much. Every time I drive it with those tires the rear feels really loose. I put on a set of 29" Maxxis Bighorns and the rig just feels much more stable especially when going around corners at any speed. I will be keeping the Bighorns on it for now. I got the Grizztech parts installed. I also got the A arm CV boot protectors on. Got the horn and all the mirrors installed and wired up the winch switch and solenoid. Tomorrow I will install the winch mount and winch. I am still waiting for my windshield back glass and the top I ordered.
Alaskan47 and RockinRonnie like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok update on the Radio Flyer build.

I got the EMP aluminum top installed also got the EMP hard coat windshield and back window installed. Rear view mirror from rocky mtn. Side mirrors from sizmeck. I ordered a bunch of matching switches and started wiring and installing them with a blue sea fuse panel under the hood (winch switch, horn, light bar, cube lights, USB port). Got the Superwinch Tera 45 installed (not easy). Aluminum A arm skid plates installed. Super ATV front bumper installed. Nice bumper and heavy duty. I have a set of Tensor Regulator 28x10x14 tires on STI HD5 Bead lock wheels going on it tomorrow when I receive the wheels from FedEx. I am in the process of building a set of rock sliders like the ones Rockin Ronnie built but made out of different material. I will start a thread on that once I get them done. I am also building a custom lock and ride rack to go on the back for my GSP bird dogs to ride in. All I have left to order is a skid plate. I see a lift and some suspension upgrades in the future. I wanted to go with 30 inch tires but don't think it would fit in my toyhauler.
Alaskan47 and RockinRonnie like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Garage
Looks like you have been a very busy man EdgeXXL with all the upgrades....I put a SuperATV 3" lift and put 1" offsets on mine for a wider stance and with the bigger tires it makes a huge difference in ride....I still have the sway bars on which was kind of sketchy went I went rock crawling....But love the sway bars when hauling the mail down and around corners on the dirt roads...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Got the new STI HD5 bead lock wheels today so tomorrow the Tensor Regulator tires go on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris General 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page