• 4 Post By littleboss
  • 3 Post By Nickit1981
  • 1 Post By GeneralGeorge
  • 1 Post By EdgeXXL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Pepper
General or Ranger XP 1000

Has anyone went from a Ranger to a General? I'm wondering about the ride quality of a Ranger on the trails. I really need the short wheelbase (not 4 seater) for the trails here in Arkansas. I have a young children and like the idea of putting them in the front seat (while they fit) in between my wife and I, then I could always add a rear seat in the bed. Does the General ride way better, or just a little better?? I know the seats are way more comfortable in the General, just wondering about ride quality. Thanks.

Also, if anyone has put a rear seat in their General I'd love to see pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Garage
The slower you go the less difference you would notice on ride quality. I bought my machine used with only 199km from a family that had a baby and were going to get a Ranger(for the bench seat) in a year or so to allow him to travel between them on rides. The box is a lot larger on a Ranger, would work better for extra seating. I ride with my Brother-in-law and he has the 900 Ranger, what I noticed was his machine(900 Ranger) threw a lot of dust into the cab area from the front wheels but on the plus side his machine was quite compared to the throaty General(if that is a concern for you).

Keep our trails open leave the trails better then you find them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM

We went from a 2012 Ranger to the new General Ride Command. No comparison between the two as far as ride goes. The Ranger was nice for trails as you could see the ground right in front of the machine. Thought the ride was OK on the Ranger before we got the General but not even close after riding in the General. I have had 4 1/2 major back surgeries and 2 major neck surgeries so ride comfort is a must for me.
We love our General but as with any machine you will like somethings and dislike somethings. Depends on what you are going to use it for and how you drive also.
RockinRonnie likes this.

Johnny 7

God, Family, Green Bay Packers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:22 AM

That is easy for me to answer. I had a 2014 Ranger XP900. I sold it and bought a 2016 General Deluxe. The ride is like night and day. I can ride all day in the General and not be tired. Control, especially in descent down hill is much safer and confident. Now if all I was doing is farming, I would get the Ranger.
Alaskan47, SNWMBL and RockinRonnie like this.

------------------------------
2016 General Deluxe
Tip-out glass windshield
Glass rear panel
Rock sliders
Brush guard bumper
Lock & Ride cargo box
Grizzz-Tek radiator, battery, and fuel tank guards
Trail Armor skid plate & A-Arm guards
Rugged Radios
Aluma Trailer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 AM

I have a 15 XP 900 Ranger, '16 XPT and a 17 General Deluxe.

Last year I equipped the Ranger for trail riding in Colorado. I added a skid plate, and arched forward a- arms and rear arms. I also added bigger tires and a 2" lift. I also added a DirtyDawg clutch for the engine braking. I found several things about the Ranger that are not good for Colorado. One is the rough ride. My old '13 XP 900 and my '16 XPT ride way better on the rough ground- rocks and such. I could have added 2k worth of aftermarket shocks but it also has other issues. The bench seat sucks for going down mountains as I was constantly sliding off of it. Third it was kinda of low on power. Going up Mt Antero with myself 150 lbs, my friend 200 lbs and 300 lbs of gear in the back we had to keep it in low gear and the pedal to the floor.

So I just use the Ranger on the farm as I have done since '15. The deluxe General has more power, better shocks (though not as good as the larger Fox shocks on my XPT) and it has bucket seats. The General has a heater and full cab and is great for CO. The XPT is mainly used for rock crawling. If you are concerned about a smooth ride get the deluxe with the Fox shocks or put aftermarket shocks on one of the other General models

2017 GENERAL™ 1000 EPS DELUXE Titanium Matte Metallic
2016 XP Turbo
2015 Ranger XP 900

Last edited by littleboss; 06-16-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM

I'd also suggest not riding trails with one of those add seats for the bed. Aside from being really uncomfortable.. They are super not safe. It's one thing to use one to just move people from a to b on flat land with it.. It's entirely different riding trails with people there. I wouldn't risk my kids in it on any trail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
MMX, Johnny 7 and Wevil like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM

In addition to what Nick said it's illegal in many states now to add seats to a UTV that were not designed to be there from the factory. Not to mention if you hurt or worse someone loses their life sitting back there your Insurance Co certainly is not going to pay and you will likely lose everything you've worked hard for all yer life. It's just not worth it!
MMX likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 PM

I also went from a 2016 Ranger 570 to a 2017 General. I loved my Ranger for hunting but no so much for trail riding with my friends. They all have RZR 4 seaters which were way more trail worthy. We do a lot of hard pack riding and rock crawling on jeep trails and such. I got the General because I wanted a vehicle I could still use around the house and to hunt and trail ride with. It has worked out perfectly for what I needed. The ride of the general is way better than the ranger I had. it is way more comfortable for me to ride all day with the bucket seats. My suggestion is if you are going to have your children in the back why not just get a General 4 seat version. It will be much safer for them. If my dealer had one when I went to get mine I might have gotten a 4 seat just for the extra room to haul stuff. A 4 seat General is very trail capable and will go anywhere a 2 seat version would go. You might have to be a little more careful but I am sure it will get the job done.
generaljls likes this.

Last edited by EdgeXXL; 06-19-2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 PM

I totally agree with EdgeXXL! Go for the G4...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris General 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page