In-Depth breakdown of the Door Separation design flaw. - Polaris General 1000 Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

In-Depth breakdown of the Door Separation design flaw.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD UNTIL I LITERALLY SAY " FEEL FREE TO RESPOND".
I have to format it as several replies to myself for the images to wind up in the correct order...and I'm heavily medicated at the moment. Thank you.

The General is what the Rhino should've become.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

This is long-winded but very important. I want everybody to see what is going on with the "Door Separation issue". Feel free to link to it from other forums, Facebook, etc. Polaris needs to see "numbers" to accept that this is a widespread issue and needs to be properly addressed by them. Polaris will be provided a link to this thread.

Okay, for those who don't know what this is all about, here's the backstory. My 4 month old, $20,000 Polaris General with a $2000 extended warranty has a problem with the door skins separating (among other issues). I took it to the dealer for a warranty claim. When I picked it up a week later I was told that to replicate the problem the Polaris representative had to "slam the door shut so hard it nearly tore off the hinges". Polaris sent them a PowerPoint on how to install some zip-ties on the inner structure and the claim was denied/closed. I was not pleased. The dealer told me to take it up with Polaris and gave me their 800 number. Here's the video I made the morning after picking it up from the dealer.
https://youtu.be/XkroBDx960I

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm, had to really slam it to replicate that problem eh? Turns out the Polaris rep in question was in Minnesota...1300 miles away from my machine in Idaho...looking at a Polaris General that sits in a warehouse at Polaris headquarters. Because that machine didn't have a problem there was no problem with my machine according to Polaris. I began to wonder if the 1000XP in that warehouse was currently on fire since they did a recall on those but I decided that was off-subject so I let it go.
At this point Polaris' stand is that I haven't proven that there is a defect in the door skins and that my 5'3" 110lb girlfriend must have pulled a Magilla Gorilla and created this problem. Actually they didn't blame her specifically but she's the only one getting in and out of that door. She was not pleased.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

From my first contact with Polaris Corporate on July 26th I asked if I could disassemble the door myself to investigate. They claim they needed more specific info on the flaw from me although they wouldn't say what would constitute sufficient evidence of a defect. I wanted to ensure they wouldn't void my warranty. After multiple emails back and forth where they continued to not answer those questions I grew tired of waiting for a response. I gathered the hardware and disassembled the door on Aug 4th to install my own solution and to gather info on the root cause of the defect. I posted on the General Forum that evening that I was 90% complete with the first door and I would be providing a How-to in the future. On Aug 5th I received an email telling me not to disassemble the door and that my warranty would be void if I "modified the machine". Again, I was not pleased.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Bruce Lee

Through all of this Polaris has said both that there is no defect and that I need to be patient while they come up with a better solution (than the zip-ties). This is double-speak. How can you come up with a better solution to a problem you deny exists? I asked them to clarify that stance and as of this writing it's been 2 days with no response.

Design= to plan and make (something) artistically or skilfully

Flaw=An imperfect or defective part.

Design flaw=allowing a defective part to remain in the plan when it reaches production.

Without knowing exactly what Polaris expects for proof that there is a flaw in the door skins I set out to document what I found and give my reasoning for why I feel it was a bad design right from the start. There will be some Physics and Math involved but don't worry. It was public schools in small-town Montana then right into the military for me, I never went to college. If I can follow this line of thinking anybody can. If I'm wrong I'm sure the higher educated among us will point it out.

Last edited by Cheeto; 08-10-2016 at 01:11 AM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

According to Newton's first Law of Motion "An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Basically, objects in motion tend to stay in motion until they are stopped by something else. Here's Stevie Stickfigure to give us a visual aide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stevie.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	11601  

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

When the motion of Stevie and his rad unicycle hit the ramp their direction of travel changes but their motion continues on. When Stevie hits the upright object his motion is "acted upon by an unbalanced force". In other words, his motion is stopped cold and he heads to the E.R. with multiple fractures and a ruptured spleen. You may be asking why Stevie is riding a unicycle and what this all has to do with the door skins on a Polaris General. He's on a unicycle because I'm not an art major and it was easier to draw in the Paint program on my computer. For the answer to the second question we have to look at the internals of the General door so follow along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tabs and zip.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	11609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Socket.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	11617  

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Those images show the "tabs and sockets" that hold the inner and outer door skins together along the upper edge of the door (where the separation issue occurs). Notice that the inner panel has nice squared-off, upright sockets. Also notice that the outer skin has tabs that have a noticeable angle or "ramp" to them where they engage the sockets. Don't blurt out the answer now, let's walk through the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tab ramp.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	11625  

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

These tabs and sockets are holding together as the door assembly is swung closed. The motion of the door closing is suddenly "acted upon" by the door coming into contact with the body of the General. The body of the General is upright (hopefully) and has much more mass than the door so the door stops moving...or does it.

Newton's second Law of Motion says that "The greater the mass (of the object being accelerated) the greater the amount of force needed (to accelerate the object)". In short, larger/heavier objects take more force to move than smaller/lighter objects. The same is true for stopping the motion of these objects.

Last edited by Cheeto; 08-10-2016 at 01:26 AM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

The inner door skin is thicker plastic than the outer door skin. It has more mass, therefore it requires more force to stop the motion of the inner door skin than it does to stop the motion of the outer door skin. When the outer skin finally stops the inner skin wants to continue moving. Suddenly the connection between the sockets and tabs is tested. The sockets, being a part of the inner skin want to keep moving. The tabs, being attached to the outer skin want to stop them from moving but...the tabs are angled and there are only 3 of them in the area of greatest motion. Instead of squarely stopping the movement of the sockets (and the inner skin) the tabs lose the battle of mass and the tab/socket connection fails. The inner and outer door skins separate. Here's Stevie again to demonstrate what happens when an object in motion (socket) interacts with a ramp (tab).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stevie.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	11633  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris General 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page